• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Service Department My A** (Macbook)

Dibbons

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Totally predictible. My 2014 Macbook Air 13 inch wont turn on. Waited two weeks for the Macbook store service dept to diagnose and repair it: no word. Sent an email requesting an update on status. Took another two days to receive a response back: "we ran half a dozen tests and still wont turn on. Needs a motherboard and battery. Motherboard no longer available and unable to repair. I didnt really expect any other response. Went on ebay and purchased another motherboard (pre-owned from working computer) for $132.00 which only took about five minutes to find and process order. I hope it works out. New units cost $1,000.00 and up.

Amazon has "renewed" apple laptops starting from the $200 dollar range. Looks like most of them have a 90 day warranty.

Paid $40.00 to have the "second-hand" motherboard installed. So the old MacBook Air is working again just fine without having replaced the battery. Hope is lasts awhile.

Amazon has "renewed" apple laptops starting from the $200 dollar range. Looks like most of them have a 90 day warranty.
I have a 2 10 year old MacBook Pros - are you saying I could get them refreshed (upgraded) for in the $200 range? They work "okay". But no longer accept any of the newer upgrades. And often they seem to have minds of their own. How and where could I see if it would be worth it to do so. I'm not keen on buying new ones. But I would like these to be more "everything". Im not a techie - what do you think? Is this something that makes sense for these old souls - and what would I get for my money? Thanks in advance brother.

I have a 2 10 year old MacBook Pros - are you saying I could get them refreshed (upgraded) for in the $200 range? They work "okay". But no longer accept any of the newer upgrades. And often they seem to have minds of their own. How and where could I see if it would be worth it to do so. I'm not keen on buying new ones. But I would like these to be more "everything". Im not a techie - what do you think? Is this something that makes sense for these old souls - and what would I get for my money? Thanks in advance broth

I don't know where you could get one refreshed or refurbished. The ones i mentioned are older used models that have supposedly been looked over and maybe had minor fixes and then they're sold. I'm guessing apple has a laptop trade in program and these are laptops people traded in when they purchased newer ones. Kind of like trading in your old car when you buy a new one and then they send it to the used car lot. I'm not an apple user so i'm not sure if you would be able to upgrade these to the newest mac os system. It depends on if the laptop hardware is compatible with the newest software system upgrade.

Amazon product ASIN B01N0RQ0CX
Here's a youtube video where the guy updates an older system to a newer one. I wouldn't recommed trying it unless you have a good backup of your files though.

Auto Transport Service
Back