• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD Set of 4 Date Coded (70-71) Like New 14” Magnum Road Wheels and BFG’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

5150DodgeBro

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller

5150DodgeBro

Active Member​

Local time8:40 PMJoinedJan 1, 2021Messages27Reaction score12LocationPittsburgh PA
Guys please don’t think I’m crazy...(at least I don’t think you will, if originality is meaningful to you too ).

I’m really torn about letting go of the set of 14” Magnums that were on my ‘71 SE...Not that my car is super rare, big $ or anything, but I consider it unique and somewhat a survivor. I have every reason to believe these were on the car new or maybe a day2 purchase, since all have matching date codes (including the mounted spare, with a similar date coded PolyGlas GT. NOTE: Spare is not included in any potential sale, pic is to sort of authenticate my bs here only)

The 4 wheels, caps and correct trim rings are all in truly exceptional condition. Even the older USA Made 225/70R14’s are like new with at least 10/32” tread and zero signs of age.

I am entertaining offers starting at $1850 for the set of 4, which may seem crazy for what they are -but it’s gonna take near that number for me to let go. I figure they may be that meaningful to someone out there with a rare 70-71 instead of sitting in my basement waiting for the eventual fate of my car or some miracle discovery of my build sheet. Anyway, I’m located near Pittsburgh, PA -not willing to ship but may bring to Carlisle. If you want to discuss, please DM if you’re serious -And- Thank You FBBO!

a0d4cda1-e70b-4b74-a8c8-926d0383971e-jpeg.jpg

73a2d84f-2e45-48a5-b492-0fdc4ab2d34e-jpeg.jpg

a5cb713d-47ae-4961-9dee-fc37ae54286b-jpeg.jpg

9df3b122-959d-4558-9073-731ef1e91034-jpeg.jpg

f502ba70-d1d7-4b60-b793-21c68fdc036e-jpeg.jpg

a9fb3cb2-cad6-40d5-9275-ed5fe9adec5a-jpeg.jpg

9e4483eb-8957-4d14-b0f3-01e4b8a45bb7-jpeg.jpg

dad8f9e7-c6cb-4072-9cf6-5a0daf0647f2-jpeg.jpg

Since I’m getting beat up on the internet....I lowered the price to $1350. If they don’t sell, I’ll just hang on to em.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I’m sorry I removed my post-opening sentence, “Please don’t think I’m crazy” But the reaction has me thinking this could be genius (or dumbass) marketing at work!

Anyway YES, the “asking-negotiable price” high, way high in-fact (now lowered to $1350), for a couple reasons that I thought made sense in the initial post. For the 40+ years I’ve been in this hobby, any worthwhile thing I’ve ever sold and tried to replace, I could NEVER replace it for the same price. Yep, I’ve bought $5 wheels too. But lately, the price volatility for what are increasingly scarce parts blows my mind. And, for probably the first time I have something potentially OE to my car that I wrestled with letting go or how to put a value on it if I were to sell...Indeed very likely they will go back in the basement, but how do you otherwise find a discriminate buyer?

Lastly, didn’t mean to start a firestorm with the “Magnum” name and I knew better, but wasn’t technically correct. All thru the 70’s & 80’s everyone that I knew called em either Chrome Magnums or Mags with the trim rings. SO, THEY’RE 1970 W23 ROAD WHEELS, not to be confused with the other Road Wheels that Mopar also made-lol. I had the reverse issue a few yrs back trying to sell NOS center caps for some of those other “Road Wheels.” For the record, the reproductions are called “Magnum Road Wheels” and I’m fairly certain for a while Chrysler called them the same!

BF284EA8-49DF-43C8-B18A-9F1A03F0C30B.png

EE5E08B0-B9C7-4BFA-A419-DC9B5A338AB0.png

FB1ADF31-8DD6-4DBF-BB53-36378D15BCAA.jpeg

448DE179-69E7-4A11-A7CF-B94886C84C5B.png

Last edited:
pm box is full and k already typed all this. I’d be interested in them for a correct look on my car. Date code is if no concern. My 69 features 4 bent wheels with new redlines, so I don’t need tires. Also not sure those are any good anyway. My car has like new rubber on it, except they were absolutely rock hard and not fit to drive on. I know as I limped it home. Do you know if these rims are warped or bent?

pm box is full and k already typed all this. I’d be interested in them for a correct look on my car. Date code is if no concern. My 69 features 4 bent wheels with new redlines, so I don’t need tires. Also not sure those are any good anyway. My car has like new rubber on it, except they were absolutely rock hard and not fit to drive on. I know as I limped it home. Do you know if these rims are warped or bent?
wrong trim rings for your 69

I have no idea why/how my in box is full, but I’ll attempt to clear. Anyway, I know you said date code was of no concern to you, but for clarity on this post, I popped a couple trim rings and they show p/n 3461359 which I believe are 1971 and 14x5.5. They are balanced with very reasonable weights front/back, were on my Charger and are fine. I’m confident the tires are still fine as well, since they show no evidence of ozone, weather-checking or dry-rot whatsoever!

I’m not enthused about dismounting the tires but may consider. I will deliver to the Nats for a reasonable deposit.

Rubber deteriorates from the inside out. Over 8 years old, just use to move around your yard or just for shows. Your car is not worth the cost of a new tire.

Forget about my tires...
I will GENERALLY agree with your statement. In fact, many auto manufacturers say 6 years is the limit. These guidelines and talk of tire expiration dates have surfaced primarily because the GENERAL public has no dang idea what condition their tires are in...including those whose tires are visually degrading/bald/etc. Despite this, think about the GAZILLION vehicles on the road and by percentage, the very, very few instances of failure due to age.

For commercial vehicles DOT inspections are a major pita for fleets in this area...and I could be wrong, but I don’t believe there is actually a code violation for tires of any age. Same goes for annual inspections of passenger cars.

By the way, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, NO MATTER THE AGE OF YOUR TIRES: 2 years old or 10 years old, whatever...get your nose within an inch of the void in the tread and particularly the bead area-just above the rim-and look closely for the beginnings of dry-rot. In the past 10 years or so, I’ve seen more evidence of rapidly degrading tires than ever before (vs. the tires my dad and his fleet of vehicles ran back in the day)

Anyone else notice this/agree? I personally think tire manufacturers may be reducing or cutting close the premium ingredients for longevity (not wear) since they can point to these more prevalent time-limit recommendations. I had 2 sets of premium Michelin’s 1 set of BFG (also Mich) and 1 set of Coopers all start to crack within a couple years.

YEP-tires CAN degrade from the inside-out. BUT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, typically exhibit signs of degradation from the outside. The proof is the millions and millions that are removed showing these signs WITHOUT FAILING. Good thing, because none of us inspect our tires with X-Ray machines either. Despite this, I’ve seen countless guys selling their junk tires at swap meets and on-line, year after year.

I’d like to think most of us car guys look for this stuff and recognize other signs of degrading like flat-spotting or losing resilience. And at the same time, I’d bet more than 50% of us can’t run out every 6-8 years and replace their $2k set of Cokers.

Anyway back to my tires. IMO they still have plenty of safe life left in them and I’d run them across the country before a brand new set made in China or any of a number of countries pumping-out crap nowadays. But, I can respect-to each his own...

It’s not just what you see, it’s the rubber getting hard as well. I have a like new set of redlines sitting in my basement. They would be great for a car show. They are WORTHLESS on the highway. I know, I limped the car 20 miles with them on it.

the various michelin offerings are particularly bad about showing rot within 4 years.

basically these tires have little value to me if they are more than three years old per their date code. Older than that you are talking about virtually no use left in them before you can count on dry rot or hard rubber. just not worth it for a guy or his ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back