• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SGTPauls 68 Charger RT project

SGTPaul

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi, After 20 years of being away form these bad boys I’m back in the game! Picked up a 68 Charger R/T this summer and have slowly been digging into it. Wouldn’t you know that as soon as I bought this car I got busy at work….. Car is in rough shape but has a pretty good shell to start with. And a shell is all I got – no interior, no engine, no trans. I’ll see how solid it is after it gets blasted this spring. It is a real R/T so back together it goes. A few pics below. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 68 charger - mt pleasent 002.jpg
    68 charger - mt pleasent 002.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 4,376
  • 68 charger - mt pleasent 006.jpg
    68 charger - mt pleasent 006.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 3,843
  • 68 charger - mt pleasent 018.jpg
    68 charger - mt pleasent 018.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 4,285
Congrats SGTPaul, `68's are my favorite and that is going to be a nice one. Is it in Detroit currently and what color combo do you think you will go with?.

Thanks! Yes car is in Detroit and it was originally either Light or Bright Blue Poly based on my removing of the undercoating in various areas. I need to get some samples to compare to be sure which on it is. I’ll be going back to the original color and no vinyl roof. Silver on black for the interior. Bought a parts car that was a Louisiana barn find. What a mess. All the neighborhood mice and whatever were living in it for decades. Next and other crud packed into all the heating & A/C ducts, seats, and behind all interior panels. :BangHead: Totally rotted the structure out but most bolt on sheet metal and forward part of the quarters are ok.

:sixpack:Nice project and I likem 68s too. Good luck with the project and we like lots and lots and lots of pics............. I do anyway.

looks like you have a good start for your project.

A little progress...

Progress has been slow due to cold weather and too much to do at work. But since my last post I have been able to acquire most of an engine (with a date correct block), rebuilt and installed my Dana 60, picked up a few other parts, got the car mostly disassembled, and put together a budget. I only recommend putting together a budget if you really need to crap your pants…. :pottytrain4: During disassembly I found more stuff that I thought was ok but is not. Plan on getting all the bad metal off the car and then off to the media blaster in a month or so (work schedule permitting of course). Thanks to the guy who installed the backyard roll cage I have extra work to do by replacing the whole package tray and related parts. He also seemed to use a hammer a lot since many solid panels are all banged the ____ up. A few progress pics below. Thanks for looking. :VB toast:

Attachments

• 2011 03 car breakdown 032.jpg
    2011 03 car breakdown 032.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3,405
  • 2011 01 68 charger 027.jpg
    2011 01 68 charger 027.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 3,410
  • 2011 01 68 charger 016.jpg
    2011 01 68 charger 016.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3,385
  • 2011 03 car breakdown 008.jpg
    2011 03 car breakdown 008.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,380
nothing wrong with going slow with time and money.you've got a good start and plenty of time.

Progres is a great thing...

Hi Gang. From my last post I was occupied in April with a project for my church due at Easter. So right after I got busy with it. Big sheet metal removal happening with pulling the inner fenders, radiator frame, upper cowl, and fire wall. These parts went pretty smoothly.:glasses10: Getting the floor out was another story. The factory welded parts were no problem. However removing the parts of the backyard roll cage caused major issues due to how it was welded to everything and I was trying to be as careful as I could and not to damage the original metal. Parts of the floor were also brazed to the front frame rails. But.... I damaged the right inner rocker pretty bad, but it looks like it was all warpy from what looks like a hit it received at sometime on the right, so I didn’t feel too bad about that since it will be replaced. Detmatt1 made a good call when he identified that the car was hit on the right some time ago based on the odd sheet metal on that side when he stopped by in April. So I’ll continue working my way from front to back. Part wise I was able to pick up a bunch of misc engine stuff, a back seat, and a pretty close to correct date 18 spline 4 spd. A few progress pics below to enjoy. Oh, and please don’t forget to thank a veteran on Memorial day weekend!!!:eusa_clap:

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 3,371
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,316
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,320
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 3,350
Nice to see you posting some progress Paul. Did you take some base-line measurements before tearing into it that far? Let's see some more!

Hi paul, Thanks for posting your new project. Good luck with the resto and cant wait to see your progress. Have you decided on a drive train yet??
I kinda wish I could do a tear down on my 68 charger and rebuild it competely but my wife would surely devorce me haha

Looks like quite a project Sarge. Looks like you have the skills to handle it though. Keep posting pics

Thanks for the comments. Since it’s an original R/T it will go back to a 440, 4spd, & 3:54 Dana 60. Matt, yes I did take the base-line measurements you suggested.

From one NCO to another great car and happy late memorial day!! also i feel your pain on the back yard roll cage but atleast the guy i bought my 72 from was nice enough to give me an extra back seat since the 2 bars that went to the back went through the old one!! (what do some people think when doing theese things also all welds looked like they were done with a car battery and a coat hanger so wasnt doing any good anyways

Auto Transport Service
Back