• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She looks Crooked to me!

Thunderlugs

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
Just installed the 440 in the 65 Belvedere. I'm a little perplexed. The engine seems to be sitting crooked and to the right. Got C166 big block conversion kit mounts that say are for 1962 thru 1965 b bodies. This kit came with the car. We loosened all mounting hardware, lifted, pried,re positioned all to the same result. 65's are somewhat new to me ,with regard to this type of swap. So now , I need to go to to the brain-trust to find a solution.
Thanks in advance for information.
Thunder

This isn't necessarily for your engine but note what says about engine offset, normal for mopars. For fitment of tti headers for a Hemi in a 65 Dodge, think that's why I saved it.
tti.JPG
tti.JPG

You'll find that the engine is off center and twisted/cocked pretty good. If you were to place a straight edge on the fan and compare it to the radiator support, you'll see that the passenger side has a bigger gap than the driver's side. Also from top to bottom, there's more of a gap at the top.

Looking at the original radiator brackets, you'll see that the passenger side is wider than the driver's side in order to try and square the radiator to the fan. Also the radiator is off center. Even the tunnel in the car is off center. Just look at the amount of room the left seat has compared to the right side. Three inches off center at the crank bolt from one frame rail to the other!

Your right header will probably only have a 1/4" clearance to the shock tower if that much. Ma did this off set to make enough room for the steering box. When making your own exhaust system, leave your tape measure in the tool box. Both halfs will be different.

What you are describing sounds correct. You don't notice it as much with a small block or even a 361/383 sitting in there but drop in the big block and it really stands out.

I can't believe you're actually working on it again! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You'll find that the engine is off center and twisted/cocked pretty good. If you were to place a straight edge on the fan and compare it to the radiator support, you'll see that the passenger side has a bigger gap than the driver's side. Also from top to bottom, there's more of a gap at the top.

Looking at the original radiator brackets, you'll see that the passenger side is wider than the driver's side in order to try and square the radiator to the fan. Also the radiator is off center. Even the tunnel in the car is off center. Just look at the amount of room the left seat has compared to the right side. Three inches off center at the crank bolt from one frame rail to the other!

Your right header will probably only have a 1/4" clearance to the shock tower if that much. Ma did this off set to make enough room for the steering box. When making your own exhaust system, leave your tape measure in the tool box. Both halfs will be different.

What you are describing sounds correct. You don't notice it as much with a small block or even a 361/383 sitting in there but drop in the big block and it really stands out.

I can't believe you're actually working on it again! :thumbsup:
Thank you Kid..... That was the same measurement we took, and yes, the bigger mass of engine seems to amplify it. To our Mopar trained eye, it jumped right out to us immediately. We also were concerned about the radiator and fan ,and fan shroud fitment. We saw a difference of approx 5/8 inch less on the left side as apposed to the passenger side, measuring to the radiator support. Headers went right in with little effort. I'm using TTI 2 inch tubes , 3 1/2 collectors. One tube just below the mini starter needed some dimpling to afford a little more relief for the silicone boot covering a connection on the bottom side. Added info ,...we removed the adapter block on the top of the starter, which was touching the block, and attached the battery cable directly to the studs.
So based on your most respected response, I take it, there is no cause for concern before moving forward? Thank you Kid!!
Thunder

This isn't necessarily for your engine but note what says about engine offset, normal for mopars. For fitment of tti headers for a Hemi in a 65 Dodge, think that's why I saved it.View attachment 975239 View attachment 975239
This isn't necessarily for your engine but note what says about engine offset, normal for mopars. For fitment of tti headers for a Hemi in a 65 Dodge, think that's why I saved it.View attachment 975239 View attachment 975239
On a side note about TTI headers, They are more money, But I must say the fitment and ease of installation is top notch. I had no issues on my Hemi Coronet, and the 65 Belvedere didn't require any motor mount disconnects. The only deal was popping off the right outer tie rod off the center link. Only issue was a dimple required on 1 tube below the starter to make a little air space for a silicone boot covering a connection on the bottom of starter.

@Thunderlugs as long as your motor mounts are assembled like this you should be good.

Part #2228 goes on the drivers side.
Part #2227 goes on the passenger side.

20170302_161652-jpg.jpg

20170302_161710-jpg.jpg

@Thunderlugs as long as your motor mounts are assembled like this you should be good.

Part #2228 goes on the drivers side.
Part #2227 goes on the passenger side.

View attachment 975667

View attachment 975668
Yup.. That is what I have. What amazes me , is how little of the insulator on the drivers side actually sits on the metal mount.
Thank you for attaching these pictures! Whenever I'm in question on this project, I always refer to your postings for solid reference material!

Yup.. That is what I have. What amazes me , is how little of the insulator on the drivers side actually sits on the metal mount.
Thank you for attaching these pictures! Whenever I'm in question on this project, I always refer to your postings for solid reference material!
If you'll notice the d.s. bracket has a slight bend up! That and the insulator moved forward was for clearance for the steering box!

Don't look too close on how square your steering column and steering wheel is with the car either. :lol:

You'll find that the engine is off center and twisted/cocked pretty good.
I did find that!
Confusing at first, but then remembered reading a thread where it was noted engines sit at an angle, front to back, in early b-bodies.
Looking at the original radiator brackets, you'll see that the passenger side is wider than the driver's side in order to try and square the radiator to the fan.
I'll have to look at that, didn't notice it, but I did notice the fan was not parallel to the radiator support.

Looks less at an angle in the pic.

20220405_171342.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back