• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sherman quarter panels for 70 Road Runner

Dwhip360

Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
Has anybody here used Sherman rear quarter panel skins for the 70 Road Runner? Trying to find out if they have the door jamb lip and quarter extension lip on them. Thanks, Dave

Years ago I did, DO NOT USE !! I had to work the crap out of them to even get close. AMD was not yet available.

Last edited:
Went with AMD close to what you have on the car. Still might have some issues but overall, the best I had seen.

Sherman panels are thinner than originals by about .030. They do however have the lip but how accurate it is I couldn't tell you. I will tell you this ... regardless of who makes the panel I would NEVER again EVER swap a whole quarter - the fit of replacements is never as good as original. Cut and replace rusted sections as necessary but save as much of the originals as possible - especially at the door jam, the taillight area and the trunk lip.

I suspect the OP is asking because AMD is not available?
Is Sherman even available?
I'm doing my first extensive B body and I have to agree with the above unless there is some overriding reason to change the whole quarter.
It may be the better plan to use these. When you can get them?
1966-74 A B E-Body Lh/Rh Quarter Panel Skin Pair
The ones I got came UP over the top for a good seam.
No side splice necessary.
And you can option where to join it at the door including going all the way around.
The tail light end may have to be finished since it longer than necessary If you don't splice.
AMD is nice.
But with the conditions today.
Sort of like the old saying: "Nice work. If you can get it."

I did AMD full quarters on my '69. The fit at the taillight extensions leaves a lot to be desiredn and the wheel lips are less than original. In hindsight I should have bought skins and used only the sections that needed replacing. I've had issues with just about every AMD part I've used. The floor pan didn't have enough of a lip at the front. The rear valance top lip was half of what the originals are so it didn't cover the holes from the original spot welds. The rad support cutouts are probably fine for '70's but not a match for '69's. The cowl ends are shorter than originals. And so on. Sure, they're the best out there but they're FAR from perfect !!

Sherman does not deserve to be in business.

The way things are going i'm afraid none will be in business.

Sherman does not deserve to be in business.
I disagree. Sherman as been supplying replacement panels for decades, long before AMD, Goodmark, etc.. Many cars that are around today are here because Sherman panels were available years ago. If not for Sherman, many of today's collector cars would have just been scrapped with the remaining few being priced through the roof. Not to mention that if there were fewer it would never have made sense for the likes of AMD to start producing parts, the market would have been too small. Granted they are today's choice by quality restorers but they have served and continue to serve a purpose.

I agree on fit issues on AMD parts. Had to add metal to my drop down's where they were to mate up with the wheel well's. Not right on trunk pane either had to cut off one side and add to the other side to make it look like it should. But think that is the reason it takes a body shop longer to replace sheet metal on these cars than it should. But was told when calling about the quality of the parts just be glad you can get something that looks like the original. LOL. Best of luck with the build and know the problem's you are facing. Sometimes we just have to go with what we can get. Getting donor car parts are just about the thing of the past.

Auto Transport Service
Back