• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter cable hole placement???

1962savoy

Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
OK , I had no luck on the other forums and I KNOW!!! I should have asked here first DOH!@!!
I mounted a B&M shifter in my car and I cant figure out where to put the hole in the floor for the cable. The shaift is a rear exit cable and I dont want to just drill any hole as I want to avoid the exhaust, drive shaft and not kink the cable either. Has anyone here put one in before?:happy7:

Attachments

• imagesCABBYUPI.jpg
    imagesCABBYUPI.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMGP2051.jpg
    IMGP2051.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 245
i use the cheetah shifters,so my cable exits the front.i just put the hole at the end of the shifter and it seems to work fine.i have to lower my trans a bit to run it all the way round,but its not tuff.make sure you put a gromet on any hole you make,or you will slowly cut the cable.

Set the shifter on the tunnel where your hand feels most comfortable on the stick. Eyeball the spot where the cable would exit. Mark the carpet with a piece of chalk. Then measure in from one of the seat mounting bolts to that spot and back from the accelerator pedal mounting bolts. Transfer those measurements to the underside of the car and see how it looks. Make adjustments from there if there's an interference problem. Once you're satisfied that the spot is OK, recheck everything. Then use a scratch awl to punch a PIN hole in the floor and crawl underneath to check it again.
BTW, a step drill (shaped like a cone with ridges) makes a perfect hole in sheetmetal. Once you get the right size hole drilled you can 'lean' the drill and bit over and bend the floor to match the angle of your cable.

Set the shifter on the tunnel where your hand feels most comfortable on the stick. Eyeball the spot where the cable would exit. Mark the carpet with a piece of chalk. Then measure in from one of the seat mounting bolts to that spot and back from the accelerator pedal mounting bolts. Transfer those measurements to the underside of the car and see how it looks. Make adjustments from there if there's an interference problem. Once you're satisfied that the spot is OK, recheck everything. Then use a scratch awl to punch a PIN hole in the floor and crawl underneath to check it again.
BTW, a step drill (shaped like a cone with ridges) makes a perfect hole in sheetmetal. Once you get the right size hole drilled you can 'lean' the drill and bit over and bend the floor to match the angle of your cable.

Thanks Bro, that seem to work and I got it installed last night. I have to make a slight ajustment to the cable hanger on the tranny as the holes arent far enough apart.I'm a little conserned that the cable is too close to the exhaust system, but I guess I can wrap it in heat shield.

Thanks Again for the info fellas!!!:headbang::blob1:

Another option would be to fabricate a heat shield from light weight aluminum, which you can get from any hardware or big box store. All it has to do is go between the exhaust and the cable without touching either one. Easy to make and knocks down almost all of the radiant heat.

Another option would be to fabricate a heat shield from light weight aluminum, which you can get from any hardware or big box store. All it has to do is go between the exhaust and the cable without touching either one. Easy to make and knocks down almost all of the radiant heat.
thats a great point dave.many people dont realise how easy that is to do compared to header wrap.just bend it to shape in a vise and some tin snipping and your done.

thats a great idea, I'll just have to see how to mount it under the car
Thanks
Again!!!!:headbang:

Auto Transport Service
Back