• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter hitting dash

Mike Szadaj

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Just got the engine and trans installed. After I bolted on the shifter and shifted through the gears, the shifter is hitting the dash in reverse and first, and almost in third. I am not positive, but I think this style shifter was OEM in a 68 RT. Is there some linkage or other kind of adjustment to bring the shifter rearward? In its present position I can't even shift into first or third with the ashtray open.

7278.jpg

Just got the engine and trans installed. After I bolted on the shifter and shifted through the gears, the shifter is hitting the dash in reverse and first, and almost in third. I am not positive, but I think this style shifter was OEM in a 68 RT. Is there some linkage or other kind of adjustment to bring the shifter rearward? In its present position I can't even shift into first or third with the ashtray open.

View attachment 808449

Just like it was went new..... Back in the day we would unbolt the shifter, elongate the bolt hole to allow the shifter to roll back a little & reset the linkage adjustment to compensate.... An upgrade would be to weld up the back edge of the elongated hole so the shifter can't pivot back to the original position...

The other method is to heat & bend the shift handle..

Oh, and the early 68 sliding ash tray worked better than the tilt out ashtray with a 4 spd..

OE '69 shifter handle is a slip in.. not bolt on. Believe '68 is the same.. no?

How do you always answer questions so quickly, with pictures? No matter what the answer, thanks for the quick reply. It is near impossible to compare photos taken at different angles, but if you look at this one, even with your picture having the boot down, it looks to me that my linkage in reverse is tilted a lot further forward than yours. I really like the style of this handle, and correct or not, would like to make it work, if possible.

7279.jpg

LOL.. I build airplanes for a living and detail is imbedded in my brain! I also type 200+ words per minute... thanks to needing a credit in grade 9 and took typing to get it! LOL

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 20.05.35.png
In 68 the shifter was well known to hit the dash... They may have corrected it in 69 or even mid year 68 but 68's are definitely known for the issue & it's why the sliding ashtray is somewhat sought after...

FWIW the hole to elongate has a green arrow pointing at it..

Thanks, 1 Wild R/T. If no other solutions come to light, I may have to consider yours. I really would not like to try bending the handle. That seems barely possible anyway, because it is rectangular, not round. You might be able to bend it to the left or right, but backward or forward seems very unlikely to me.

Thanks, 1 Wild R/T. If no other solutions come to light, I may have to consider yours. I really would not like to try bending the handle. That seems barely possible anyway, because it is rectangular, not round. You might be able to bend it to the left or right, but backward or forward seems very unlikely to me.

Well the elongating holes method doesn't involve any bending... The bending would require a torch & once you get that shifter red it'll bend really easy...

Got it. I remember my friends 68 Coronet had that one and it broke.
We replaced it with the Hurst unit.

I thought the 68 b body had this shifter.
View attachment 808476
Yep, '68 would have been the (in)famous "Inland" shifter, not a Hurst.
Those didn't come along until '69 - and they would have been the "slip in" type, as has already been
mentioned (2-bolt came later on).
I've got a vintage (yet new!) Hurst Competition Plus shifter in mine (2-bolt). Doesn't come close to
hitting the dash (and yes, I have the early-year flop open ashtray).

After poking around the internet I found lots of posts about Inland only in 68 and an equal number saying the inland got replaced mid year... I also found posts about hitting the dash... FWIW my cousin bought a 68 new & I clearly remember him having blood on his knuckles after taking me for a ride, honestly I can't say I'm sure which shifter he had at the time, I know later he had a Hurst shifter...
I would call & ask but he passed away about a week ago... Anyway end of the day elongate the one hole & rotate the shifter box..

You could also play with transmission lever configurations and see if the shifter throw can be reduced. That long handle must move a foot.

The old inland shifter/bolt debate......The inland shifter happened due to the fact some bean counter accountants found a way to save money per vehicle and went with the "inland" company. Chrysler had a shaky relationship around that time with Hurst and went they went to Inland they realized fast their mistake......Hurst had no worries, they knew the other stuff was junk and unreliable......Went Chrysler came back the "bean" counters paid more to hurst than previously......

The inland handled ended in 68

To the OP...Since you have the wrong handle and you want to make it work.....As another stated I would take a torch to it and bend it into a position you like.....

Auto Transport Service
Back