• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter Question - What are you using?

HYRDGOON

Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
Anyone out here using a custom, or non-era correct shifter in their non-console b-bodies... pics?

I'm debating the 71-74 non console 14.5" shifter in my 69 RR. I think I'd like the shorter stick a bit better.

Here's the one I'm thinking vs. the one correct for my car and a pic of what's in my car now.. Mine is about 18" long with almost a 13" layback

shifter.jpg

I like the idea of this http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dcc-4510611/overview/

Well...Back in the day. When Performance Parts Manufacturers still printed catalogs. Hurst Performance Co. Had a section in the back of their catalog with all the pictures of available shifter handles and all of their dimensions and bend angles. We used that information a lot, and many mods were made to all marques with manual transmissions. Quite valuable info . I think I saved an old Hurst catalog when I left the Parts Business. Got it buried somewhere, but I'm sure that they quit making many of those choices. I put a straight short stick in my Corvette.

That info would be good to have. It's hard for me to get an idea right now especially since my bench is out getting re-foamed... I feel like the stock replacement is still long(ish)...

Looking forward to see if anyone else has any ideas or if anyone has a post 71 in their pre-70

I have a Hurst competition plus.....adapted to my "stock" knuckle buster in my '63 the original one was slop...also need to mess with the linkage arms a bit to fit...........:icon_eyes:

tach, dash.jpg

Later model pistol grip with carbon fibre handle, still got the wood one though
small_IMG_8711.jpg

when I got my '69, the PO had an E Body Pistol Grip in it. It seemed like I had to lean over just a tad. I like the factory shifter myself, and in my last car I had a '70 B Body Pistol Grip and really liked that one.

If you're really running it hard.....you're on the right track.

Later model pistol grip with carbon fibre handle, still got the wood one though
View attachment 227367

That entire configuration, buckets, console etc.. would be my dream if I ever get my car to that stage!

when I got my '69, the PO had an E Body Pistol Grip in it. It seemed like I had to lean over just a tad. I like the factory shifter myself, and in my last car I had a '70 B Body Pistol Grip and really liked that one.

Curious how tall you are and what your reach would be like Basket Case? I'm a tall guy 6'4" with long arms so I wonder if the shorter E Body shifter would feel OK to me... The factory 68-9 Non-console replacement is still in the running though.

5'10 1/2, so your longer frame might be perfect for the E Body shifter.

I'm using a B&M pro ratchet. I LOVE it. It sits basically where yours does on the floor, but has about zero lay back and only rises maybe 10"-12" off the floor. Very comfortable.

Unfortunately my car is in storage as we put an addition on the house, so I can't take a picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the best I could do. I took this the day I brought my wife and new baby girl home from the hospital. Notice the Pro Ratchet sitting in a nice comfortable position.

Notice, also, the not so comfortable smile on the wife, as she was still aggravated that I picked them up in the belvedere. Hahaha.

image.jpg

sorry I don't. IIRC...the shifter was about to the top of the bottom of the seat(bench)

You can always get an old shifter, heat it up and bend it to where it suits you then harden it again and re chrome it for a custom touch

I'm using a B&M pro ratchet. I LOVE it. It sits basically where yours does on the floor, but has about zero lay back and only rises maybe 10"-12" off the floor. Very comfortable.

Unfortunately my car is in storage as we put an addition on the house, so I can't take a picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the best I could do. I took this the day I brought my wife and new baby girl home from the hospital. Notice the Pro Ratchet sitting in a nice comfortable position.

Notice, also, the not so comfortable smile on the wife, as she was still aggravated that I picked them up in the belvedere. Hahaha.

View attachment 227383

Love that Story HT 413 and thanks for the Pic! No clue why she'd look unimpressed! bahahaha

You can always get an old shifter, heat it up and bend it to where it suits you then harden it again and re chrome it for a custom touch

I've been in talks with another member (youknowho) about making one for me if I send him a template. But I'm still thinking that 14.5" 71-74 shifter might be exactly the fit I'm looking for! Just wish I could find a pic of one in our Gen with a bench. This is the only pic I could find 7.jpg

I'm sorry, goon, I didn't even realize you were running a 4 speed. Should have seen it.

HYRDGOON
Is that still the original boot on that shifter? First one I have seen other then the one I have been trying to replace for years.

Hurst Comp + in several cars but didn't have any problems modifying them to suit. Usually just taped up the handle or painted them satin black if they got the heat bender treatment or cut and rewelded. Track cars got Vertigates. Next one will be a Long as those are better for Jericos if I decide to use that box as they are not exactly street friendly.

I've been in talks with another member (youknowho) about making one for me if I send him a template. But I'm still thinking that 14.5" 71-74 shifter might be exactly the fit I'm looking for! Just wish I could find a pic of one in our Gen with a bench. This is the only pic I could find View attachment 227418[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this car has a 71-72 shifter in it. It looks smaller/shorter than a 70 from the pic. I'd love to swap to a shorter shifter. The factory one is ridiculous.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?81735-70-Roadrunner-383-4-speed-Plum-crazy-car!-26K

I use the '69 bench seat shifter in my '66 Charger. It seems to be a good compromise.

Auto Transport Service
Back