• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping 426 Hemi to U.S. from Peru

69roadr

Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
looking for dimensions on a 1967 426 Hemi engine:
Width X Height X Length and weight. also looking at what import costs would be to Los Angeles (import tax, unloading etc.) i will look into cost of ocean freight at this end. not knowing the condition of the engine, what would be a fair price to pay.
here's some pics of the engine:

103.jpg104.jpg107.jpg

103.jpg 104.jpg 107.jpg

You would want to build a holding fixture for that then secure it in a strong wooden crate made of wood suitable and certified for overseas shipment. Once you have it crated, estimate weight and give crate dimensions to some shippers for quotation. You will also need to declare a value for tariffs on the engine coming into the U.S.
I would consider carrying the carbs, air cleaner and distributor back in luggage as these could easily be damaged.
Many items we ship to S.A. go through Miami and there are brokers that then send them on from there. Yours would be the reverse. I would contact shipping brokers in Miami to get quotes. Keep in mind anything that exceeds $2500 in value requires special federal paperwork which the shipper should be able to help with.

You would want to build a holding fixture for that then secure it in a strong wooden crate made of wood suitable and certified for overseas shipment. Once you have it crated, estimate weight and give crate dimensions to some shippers for quotation. You will also need to declare a value for tariffs on the engine coming into the U.S.
I would consider carrying the carbs, air cleaner and distributor back in luggage as these could easily be damaged.
Many items we ship to S.A. go through Miami and there are brokers that then send them on from there. Yours would be the reverse. I would contact shipping brokers in Miami to get quotes. Keep in mind anything that exceeds $2500 in value requires special federal paperwork which the shipper should be able to help with.

thanks Greg. i have shipped numerous times to South America and know how to crate and the logistics of it. just never shipped to the U.S. before, and don't really know if it will be accepted. although it is a U.S. manufactured product. i am waiting on a quote from a company called "Cleared and Delivered". for the cost. am also waiting for the final price from the owner of the Hemi. from what i found on the internet for dimensions is:
29" wide X 32" long (has b.h. attached though) X 32" tall. weight 700 lbs. does this seem right?
from another Greg

You lucky dog! I remember your earlier post about bumping into the motor and some other cars this guy in Peru had. I remember telling you to buy that sucker and sneak it home in your carry on luggage.

I guess i wasnt far off. You bought that sucker. Good for you. This motor has some history to it. Keep us posted on the travels and what you do with it. Nice score!

thanks Greg. i have shipped numerous times to South America and know how to crate and the logistics of it. just never shipped to the U.S. before, and don't really know if it will be accepted. although it is a U.S. manufactured product. i am waiting on a quote from a company called "Cleared and Delivered". for the cost. am also waiting for the final price from the owner of the Hemi. from what i found on the internet for dimensions is:
29" wide X 32" long (has b.h. attached though) X 32" tall. weight 700 lbs. does this seem right?
from another Greg

I would suggest you try Panelpina or Geodis Wilson as they are international shippers for starters. they can assist with crating and shipping "one" pallet. Most companies deal with hundreds per customer. With more time i can dig into the best choice, for now that is a start.

I shipped 2 engines out of the U.S. .....both from Pennsylvania & Spokane .
It cost me $500 each. Because they where made in the U.S. no duty was due.
Also I only had to pay 10% Gst (goods & services tax). Which is due on all imports over $1000 value. I declared the engines @ $800 each. ( they cost more than that.)
I paid for each of the engines in 2 seperate transactions so I had proof of purchase for $800 with one of the payments. So I would try & declare a lesser value with the seller ;) , downside is if it goes missing and is insured, you could only insure it for the (declared value)

I used a container service that brings cars to Australia.They ship freight with cars to fill the extra space left in the container.

I have also used a company called IQglobal.com all done on line BUT you have to do it all ( customs ).You can used a plastic pallet or a wooden one ,it has to be IPSM stamped and declared so.

You lucky dog! I remember your earlier post about bumping into the motor and some other cars this guy in Peru had. I remember telling you to buy that sucker and sneak it home in your carry on luggage.

I guess i wasnt far off. You bought that sucker. Good for you. This motor has some history to it. Keep us posted on the travels and what you do with it. Nice score!

will do GetX'd!

i emailed him, and just waiting on his reply for price. ain't countin my chickens before they hatch
Hey man, just pullin yer chain some ! But if you don't want it .....Pm me !!!!!

I know that any parts that go into Peru has to be unused parts--new or nos. No used parts go into Peru through their customs. I sold a set of steel 1962 Plymouth to a man in Peru and he had me ship them to Chicago for sandblasting, a good coat of primer, and a stenciled on painted part number, then boxed up and shipped to Peru. That Hemi in Peru should be one very valuable piece in Peru.

still looking for dimensions on this engine:
Width X Height X Length and weight.
being it is pretty far from me, and will take 2 hours by bus to get there. i was hoping someone might know the dimensions.
here is our conversation so far:

me: Hello Mr. Nicolini. i was at your Museum about 2 weeks ago. i have a photo of the 426 Hemi engine you had in your shop. what are your plans with that? thank you, Greg.

Jorge: Hello Greg, in this moment I dont have any plan. Do you need it? Thank you, Jorge Nicolini.

me: Thank you for getting back to me Jorge. Before i can go any further into shipping costs, and assuming it will require a full rebuild, what will be your asking price. Thank you, Greg

Jorge: Hi Greg, this motor has never been opened, and it is in original conditions. Can you make me an offer? Thanks, Jorge

what do you think i should offer?
Greg

This proves that even the luckiest people in the world still have problems. I'm glad to have that verified anyway..This reminds me of years ago when Borg Warner in Illinois was closing and they were selling low hour Hemi engines for 100.00 dollars each. I was trying to figure out how to ship one to Florida. Shipping from Peru is definitely going to take some patience and research. Man, that is an amazing find.

The offer question is a tough one to answer. Engines like this were selling for $20,000 to $30,000 back before the resto market collapsed. They were in high demand by folks who were restoring Hemi cars that had lost their engines. Now that market has pretty much dried up and the collectors who want a Hemi for their car or clone can just buy a crate engine from Mopar for $16k or less or buy a used Gen II for under $10K that provides more power and doesn't need rebuilt.

This engine isn't going back into the original car, is going to need an expensive rebuild, and is going to cost you $500+ to ship. I would offer $6k and see where it goes. It's a neat engine with a cool story, but at the end of the day it's also an old engine that needs rebuilt in Peru, and it's one that's been reproduced for over a decade now, and it's not an engine that someone needs to restore a numbers-matching car.

what do you think i should offer?
Some factors to consider. The engine is supposedly an untouched original, but you have no way of verifying that so there is a certain amount of risk. You don't want to offer so little that its insulting to the man, but not so much that its no longer cost effective for you to buy it. Then there is the risk that the engine never makes it through shipping. My gut says 8-10k. Ive never shipped into or out of the country so i'm just shooting from the hip.
Good luck, hope you can make a deal!

(you might consider shipping it in pieces)

Here is what I found on carnut.com Weight = #765

Mopar 426 Hemi A=32.00" B=32.00"
C=24.00" D=32.00"
E=29.00"

side.jpg

front.jpg

Wow that was some emotional roller-coaster you must of rode.that the kind of find that dreams are are made of.sorry things didn't work out. Still way cool

Auto Transport Service
Back