• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping an 8 3/4 center section - best way??

odcics2

Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
I have some #2 case, 8 3/4 center sections with various higher ratios to sell.
Before I list them for local sale only, thinking of maybe also shipping, if a guy is further away.

So, what's a good way to do this? All of the gears have vintage metal can carriers, too.
Heard that a 5 gallon paint pail could be used? Thanks.

I would put it in a milk crate and strap the crate to a pallet, then ship through Fastenal. Usually $100 to $150 nationwide for a standard size pallet. Just make sure you drain it good and stuff it with shop towels.

Imo, they are too heavy for a plastic paint pail. After all, they are around 80 lbs. Before UPS went nuts on shipping prices, I'd build a plywood container for them using 3/4".....probably overkill but that's what I do.

Yes, put it in a milk crate, then build a wooden box around that. Leave some oblong holes at the top to grab it. That's what I did when I sent one.

Imo, they are too heavy for a plastic paint pail. After all, they are around 80 lbs.

Yep!
Screenshot_2017-11-25-17-39-17.jpg

FedEx is reasonable $75ish to ship (this was 2011 or 2012)
A heavy duty cardboard box and spray foam molded to the gears at the bottom works well, that's how I received mine.

I have some #2 case, 8 3/4 center sections with various higher ratios to sell.
Before I list them for local sale only, thinking of maybe also shipping, if a guy is further away.

So, what's a good way to do this? All of the gears have vintage metal can carriers, too.
Heard that a 5 gallon paint pail could be used? Thanks.

I used a heavy duty plastic box from home depot. It was like 10.00. Then wraped the chunk in plastic put in 5 gallon bucket and filled with spray foam. With everything in tub tape up the lid, tub even has handles. With my ups shippers account it cost like 50 buck to ship. Anyone can sign up for a shipper account with them. You get a discount off the top and they seem to always have a 40% off code. For the box look in the moving supplies section at Home depot.

I used a heavy duty plastic box from home depot. It was like 10.00. Then wraped the chunk in plastic put in 5 gallon bucket and filled with spray foam. With everything in tub tape up the lid, tub even has handles. With my ups shippers account it cost like 50 buck to ship. Anyone can sign up for a shipper account with them. You get a discount off the top and they seem to always have a 40% off code. For the box look in the moving supplies section at Home depot.
Been a few years now but having an account with UPS didn't much matter on the price. Maybe it does now but in order to get a good percentage off retail shipping, you had to have a commercial account. I may take another look after the first of the year and see if things have changed. I quit using UPS because they were upcharging with nearly every shipment due to weight and that's one of the reasons for me to quit using them. Even adding 5 lbs to each shipment didn't help any and my scale was right on with the one at the USP drop off store and I even checked my shipments with both of their scales.

Auto Transport Service
Back