• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ships......

Jeff Peterson

ROARING '65's!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
After the interest of Dibbons thread on the container ship, I thought I'd share this, as Dennis Hopper said, "I find that **** fascinating".
Anybody that's even remotely interested in mechanical things will find this interesting, and when you realize it's well over 100 years since it was built, it's that much more amazing!
If you sit and imagine what it would take to pull this off at the turn of the century, it makes your head spin!

http://www.titanicology.com/Titanica/TitanicsPrimeMover.htm

Leno has a running steam engine in his shop ( or shops).. One of his shows showed how it ran, how the governor worked etc.. Amazing how high tech it was coming from such a simple time in America

The design and layout of the propulsion for the Titanic was a huge contributing factor in the hitting of the iceberg.
If the first officer had done what he was supposed to do, he likely would have missed it altogether. Instead, he reversed engines, shutting off the turbine powered center propeller, the one right in front of the rudder, massively reducing its effectiveness, so the ship couldnt/wouldnt/didnt answer the helm.
But, i agree, the technology to accomplish what they did at the time is amazing!

I find it interesting with most engineering feats from back then. and to think just how many items were built in such a short time to create mass.
No Computers, No robotic equipment. Just alot of heavy hard work. Great minds of engineering as well.

The design and layout of the propulsion for the Titanic was a huge contributing factor in the hitting of the iceberg.
If the first officer had done what he was supposed to do, he likely would have missed it altogether. Instead, he reversed engines, shutting off the turbine powered center propeller, the one right in front of the rudder, massively reducing its effectiveness, so the ship couldnt/wouldnt/didnt answer the helm.
But, i agree, the technology to accomplish what they did at the time is amazing!
It's hard to say, but it sure didn't help. At any rate, at 23 knots they had only 30 seconds to make an avoidance. Calling for reverse from the bridge takes time; the engine controls such as seen in the movies aren't connected to the engines. They simply relay the request to the engine room where the engineers respond. Asking for full reverse isn't instantaneous, but is simple. The engineer must close the steam valve (lever), engage the reversing lever and re-open the valve, usually meaning 30-60 seconds to go from full ahead to full astern. Those enormous four cylinder steam engines with 23 1/2 foot bronze props didn't stop instantly.

Although it can't be proven, people have theorized that instead of trying to avoid the iceberg the ship had instead turned to ram it, it wouldn't have sunk. It would have had severe localized damage to the bow but likely would have flooded only two compartments. It was designed to stay afloat with four compartments flooded, but with the 300 foot gash it ended up flooding five.

The fact that the ship was on fire before it set sail, and during it's whole voyage, is also a theory behind the sinking. Coal bunker fires were common in ships of the era, but with the size of that ship, it wasn't possible to extinguish the fire before departure, and firemen were instructed not to mention anything to the passengers. Photos show a thirty foot dark mark where heat had scorched paint on the outer hull, and with an 1800 degree inferno right at the area of collision, it has been speculated that the steel was weakened and had become brittle.

Besides this hull damage, it also gives an answer for the speed of the ship. To economize, White Star had told the press that speed would be limited to 20 knots (there was a coal strike at the time) however it was thought that firemen were feeding extra coal into the boilers to get rid of it, in order to reach the burning part to extinguish it.

e37flkc-png.png

click here for a computer view of the engine room: https://momento360.com/e/u/c84b9c0c...paign=embed&utm_source=other&utm_medium=other

Last edited:
I find it interesting with most engineering feats from back then. and to think just how many items were built in such a short time to create mass.
No Computers, No robotic equipment. Just alot of heavy hard work. Great minds of engineering as well.

Consider the Confederate submarine Hunley, built from an old boiler and designed to sink a Union warship. Hand powered buy an extremely brave group of men. What they did changed the face of naval warfare forever. Their attack was successful but they paid with their lives.

I had a friend who was part of the Budweiser "Bernie Little" team... Said they had crates of Merlins and Griffons stacked in there warehouse. Told me it was amazing at what technology was in these engines from the 30's when he worked on them..

As mentioned earlier, the center engine on the Titanic was a turbine. Even before that, there was the SS Turbinia, the first turbine powered ship. It was the fastest ship around when it was launched in 1894. Here's its steam turbine, designed and built without electric computers.
Im1956EnVCen-p215.jpg

Here at full tilt - top speed 39.7 mph.
1280px-Turbinia_At_Speed.jpg

My new daily driver is trapped in a ship anchored off the coast at the LA port. 4-5 weeks before it gets to Phoenix they tell me. I had to look up the ships they use. Wow. that is interesting. Car carrier ships hold thousands of cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back