• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock Tower Brace Replacement

El.Padrino

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

in the process of my Coronet restoration I had to remove the entire shock tower brace because of bad rust. It was not repairable as the inner brace rusted through its way towards the shock tower back and the frame rail. To repair the frame rail section underneath there was no way around, it had to get out anyway.

Fortunately, just the top of the frame rail was rusty and was a simple fix (inside was healthy with only surface rust).

Prior removal I took some measurements of the shock tower to the frame rail and inner fender apron but I was limited with essential reference points. They were warped and corroded heavily.

I want to be safe before welding the new shock tower brace in place!

Therefor I would ask for your help if you can give me some useful tips for this install!

Just don‘t want to mess up my steering geometry later because of that..
Aftermarket sheet metal parts are often not 100% the same as factory parts, I do not rely on that.

Maybe anyone could provide me with correct measurements as well?

Btw the same repair needs to be done on the driver side.

Only put the shock tower in for a quick preview.
E7803B45-5539-4C7F-9C58-CB9720AD7024.jpeg
FF25FD3D-4F2C-4C1D-B3BA-586A4AB5471A.jpeg

Thanks, Kevin

Im just did my whole front end and am havimg the same worries, at least your aprons origional. You wont be far off at all as the tower can only move side to side a little before welding. I have new aprons rails and origional shock towers. I am using the frame diagram but im just freaked out about welding it all togeter amd being off

Im just did my whole front end and am havimg the same worries, at least your aprons origional. You wont be far off at all as the tower can only move side to side a little before welding. I have new aprons rails and origional shock towers. I am using the frame diagram but im just freaked out about welding it all togeter amd being off

Wish you all the best for your job! Did you buy the front frame rails with the shock tower brace welded from amd? With that you will be more on the safe site to start with fitting all together I guess.

Ive finished the passenger side so far and I am happy with the result, the big surprise will come after reassembling and the wheel alignment.

Right now I patch the driver side frame rail. Had more rust than the passenger frame..

I bought new rails and used my old shock towers , I'm using the frame diagram and it says the edge of the front camber bolt mount is 30 inches side to side so I'm making sure thats where they end up . I might weld in the front rails then mount suspension and see how the wheels look before buttoning it all up.

I had mine done professionally about 18 months ago. The chassis guy had the whole car on a jig so everything stayed aligned. He also bolted in the K frame to make sure it all stayed square. It's not an easy job, good luck.

All done and all welded in measures dead on . Unbolted k member after and everything stayed where it should. Now the rest of the car...
20180508_204607.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back