• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shocking News

Mopar56

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought a 67 Charger that was a 27 year restoration project. It had been stripped, painted and all chrome redone. All the mechanical had been rebuilt. Interior is 90% done. It came with boxes of NOS and "Year One" replacement parts. The previous owner ran into some health issues and had to abandon his dream. I have started on installing the remaining parts that came with the car (fuel tank, exhaust and brakes). It has 245 60/15 TA's on the front and I am putting 275 60/15 TA's on the rear. What the car didn't come with, is shocks. That's the shocking news! Any recommendations on shocks. Anyone running air on the back? Does the car need any lift to accommodate the larger tires? I want a good firm ride, but its not a truck. Chime in with your nickles worth (it use to be 2 cents, but with inflation eh) Mopar56

Should fit fine with the correct backspacing, myself I prefer adjustable shocks like Viking or qa1, bilsteins are also pretty popular. Air shocks are not necessary imo

Don't need air shocks for your fit. Call James at PST to get you shocks for your car.

If you want it to sort of ride like stock, ol' Monroe Matics are as close as your local auto parts store at about $25US each.
They're gas these days so it'll be a tad stiffer at first, but will break in pretty soon.
(Yes, Gabriel is also still out there somewhere...)
For a step up, I'd recommend KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. Good quality, reasonable price.
Choices go up in price from there...

Good quality shocks will make a huge difference in how the car feels. I would follow the suggestions above.

Gabriel Hi-jackers is the way it was done in the 70's.There are several ways to establish ride height and then use a better than stock shock.
Depending on the intended usage and HP will determine what is right for you.

Good suggestions, Monroe's or Gabriel's will likely be good. Thanks

I would recommend the Bilstein if you want good quailty and a good ride. We sell a 4 pack for $409 but with the members discount they are $368 with free shipping in the USA 48 states

These shocks use the latest in suspension technology, including Teflon coated surfaces for reduced friction and Bilstein's patented digressive valving. Digressive valving provides better control without the harshness normally associated with a performance shock absorber. Best of all, PST's Bilstein shocks have a black finish - not the loud yellow paint typically found on Bilstein shocks

Thanks
James

I would recommend the Bilstein if you want good quailty and a good ride. We sell a 4 pack for $409 but with the members discount they are $368 with free shipping in the USA 48 states

These shocks use the latest in suspension technology, including Teflon coated surfaces for reduced friction and Bilstein's patented digressive valving. Digressive valving provides better control without the harshness normally associated with a performance shock absorber. Best of all, PST's Bilstein shocks have a black finish - not the loud yellow paint typically found on Bilstein shocks

Thanks
James
I will be ordering these soon I hope, got KYB's right now and am not at all impressed. What's the life expectancy on the Bilsteins?

In response to the OP's question I'm a firm believer in making ride height adjustments where it should be.. at the springs. Re arch or replace the leaves is how I'd make the changes then quality shocks. Bilsteins seam to be the name that always pops up when discussing great shocks, never heard a complaint but $$$$$. Curious to how good the Monroe's are?

Thanks
James
pics? look like regular shocks?

I'd suggest KYB from James @ PST or Bilstein shocks. Air shocks? Uh, no in my opinion

Here is an example.
Bilstein Ford.jpg

Same one's I have

Take the Bilsteins, changed my KYB to Bilstein, night and day , much much better.

Stay away from the blue Monroe shocks, there is a reason why they are super cheap. Total waste of money inmho.
I personally put them on a car one fall in preparation for the upcoming year. Part of my spring prep I jacked the car up and 3 of the shocks were bad. 2 visibly had fluid leaking out of them and when taking them off one of the front had no rebound in it. This was from sitting in a heated garage with 0 miles on them.
Spend extra $$ and get either the kyb or bilstein shocks.

Thanks
James

I bought these shocks from PST, and have them on my car. They are worth every penny and really help the ride.

The whole point of having these cars is to enjoy driving them (at least for me). Spend time on ALL the suspension components and you will be surprised how nicely these old cars handle and drive.

Just my now 5 cents worth...

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back