• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop lights and radio's

Cornpatch MO

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
I am moving into my new, all steel garage. It has new T5 flouresent bulb light fixtures. With the lights off, my AM-FM radio in a pick-up , works fine until I turn on the shop lights and then nothing. I want to get a regular radio to put on the shelf. Any idea's on what to get, or how to make any radio work with those lights on?............................MO

I am moving into my new, all steel garage. It has new T5 flouresent bulb light fixtures. With the lights off, my AM-FM radio in a pick-up , works fine until I turn on the shop lights and then nothing. I want to get a regular radio to put on the shelf. Any idea's on what to get, or how to make any radio work with those lights on?............................MO
Maybe try putting condensors on the ballast or the radio itself. Same as how factorys put condesor on backs of am radios for noise suppresion. Just a thought....inexpensive if it works.

FM should not be very susceptible to RFI from the shop lights. You might have one tube, or ballast that is marginal. Try pulling a pair of tubes and see if one fixture is a bad radiator.

Sensitivity and selectivity in am and fm radios is a thing of the past. If you want a great performing receiver I can recommend older radios, or for newer high performance radios contact C Crane.

Even worse Mo, is trying to get AM radio to work with those lights on.
My Milwaukee radio does good in FM with my shop lights on.

FM should not be very susceptible to RFI from the shop lights. You might have one tube, or ballast that is marginal. Try pulling a pair of tubes and see if one fixture is a bad radiator.

Sensitivity and selectivity in am and fm radios is a thing of the past. If you want a great performing receiver I can recommend older radios, or for newer high performance radios contact C Crane.
When refuring to older radio's you mean tube type?

Most tube radios have excellent performance, but the transoceanic series was great in both tube and solid state.
When radio architecture went from discrete to integrated circuits performance went way down (and so did the cost).
Sangean makes the best receivers today for the money, but if you want great receiver performance the best bet are radios that are pre 1970s.

Maybe try putting condensors on the ballast or the radio itself. Same as how factorys put condesor on backs of am radios for noise suppresion. Just a thought....inexpensive if it works.
I wouldn't know anything on how to do that..........................MO

Even worse Mo, is trying to get AM radio to work with those lights on.
My Milwaukee radio does good in FM with my shop lights on.
I assume a radio sold by Milwaukee tools? makes sense as it would be for inside construction work too.. Always flouresent lights around those conditions. . Thanks.................................MO

If all else fails...
th.jpg

I assume a radio sold by Milwaukee tools? makes sense as it would be for inside construction work too.. Always flouresent lights around those conditions. . Thanks.................................MO
Screenshot_20170528-060440.jpg

I wouldn't know anything on how to do that..........................MO
Going on memory, i think You just attach condensor lead to radio chassis, like a ground. Any ignition condensor should work. Anybody adept in electrics have a thought on this?

He's in Iowa. Not always the best option.
Judging from his name "Cornpatch." I'm guessing he lives in the country.
:thumbsup:
CB radio days as self employed trucker-farmer, we called our area( Taylor county) the " cornpatch" ..........................MO

Was threw Tylor Co today. Cornpatch do you even have a radio station to listen to? I was scanning FM and could not find anything on the car radio and I was not in a metal building with florescent lights.

Was threw Tylor Co today. Cornpatch do you even have a radio station to listen to? I was scanning FM and could not find anything on the car radio and I was not in a metal building with florescent lights.
Some areas reception is really bad. We have stations 25-40 miles away , and then Omaha in some places...........................MO

We can usually get something while on 148 but today nothing.
Have you tried placing the radio in different places in the building for improving reception?

We can usually get something while on 148 but today nothing.
Have you tried placing the radio in different places in the building for improving reception?
HWY 148 !!!, you were two blocks from where I live in Bedford now. Stop by sometime. My radio I was listening to was in my pickup , and it was parked near those lights. I will try a regular radio and see if it makes a difference where it is located. Thanks ! ..........................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back