• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop vacs

747mopar

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Anybody have recommendations? I was at Lowe's last year and picked up a stainless Shop Vac dirt cheap (after Christmas sale), it lasted a year:BangHead:.. It's running but it's lost a lot of oomph and smells like it's going to catch fire at any moment lol. I was at Lowe's again this weekend and all they have is Shop Vac and Craftsmen, 2 brands I will not buy! The local hardware store has a Porta Cable, we've had great luck with their routers and drills but also was looking at the Dewalts and Rigid vacs... no more junk!

I bought one of the stainless "Shop-Vac" brand units at a guys "Man Sale". Everything there was tools and shop equipment. I agree that it sucks (pardon the pun). It runs, but has very little suction. I didn't know if that's just how bad they were or if there might be something wrong with it. I honestly wouldn't know who to choose these days, so I will be watching to see what others have to say.

Can I ask why you won’t buy craftsmen, I never had an issue with them. When I run out to the garage I’ll see what brand mine is I got for Christmas, it’s nothing special but does what I need it to do including blow out my pool lines for closing.

Can I ask why you won’t buy craftsmen, I never had an issue with them. When I run out to the garage I’ll see what brand mine is I got for Christmas, it’s nothing special but does what I need it to do including blow out my pool lines for closing.
Just haven't had any luck with any of their power tools. We've got a Craftsman drill that has proven to be worthless, a Craftsman chop saw that won't cut a 90 board to save it's life... seams to be a real lack of quality in their power tools.

Ok fair enough, I just checked mine and it’s a “shop-vac” brand. Only 4.5 hp but it gets the job done. Also has a detachable leaf blower but I’ve never used it I have a stihl back pack leaf blower

I bought one of the stainless "Shop-Vac" brand units at a guys "Man Sale". Everything there was tools and shop equipment. I agree that it sucks (pardon the pun). It runs, but has very little suction. I didn't know if that's just how bad they were or if there might be something wrong with it. I honestly wouldn't know who to choose these days, so I will be watching to see what others have to say.
I can tell you the Rigid vacs are really nice, dad has one and I may just buy one of theirs but will have to drive an hour to the nearest Home Depot. Everything Dewalt that we have is top notch and we have quite a few.

I ditched my shop vac and installed a central vac unit. I primarily use it as the vac source for my blast cabinet so I installed it close to that unit for easy on/off access. The nice thing about a central vac is they're robust and the only critical component is the motor which is easily replaced and inexpensive. I use a disposable paper filter bag in it.

To each his own, but my Craftsman 16 gallon Shopvac is almost 40 years old and still works like a charm and really "sucks", in a good way. Of course I also realize that my old Craftsman stuff was all made in the USA! I got over 33 years out of a Kenmore washer, 22 years from a Kenmore dryer, 40 years out of a Craftsman variable speed 3/8" reversible drill, which still works but the bearings are now very sloppy. I got 2 free rebuilds on my Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. Almost everything today is imported garbage at a premium price. I started buying Ridgid cordless tools because they have a lifetime warranty, even the batteries. I know that there are better tools out there but I don't use them all the time and my budget doesn't allow much wiggle room. I recently bought a Porter-Cable 3 gallon 150 psi (re-conditioned) compressor, which I like. However now I see why they were (reconditioned)! The 3 point compressor mounting system is a joke and mine arrived with a cracked mounting tab. I dogged it down under the bottom support legs and it will work, but it is a design flaw. I can't complain for 1/2 price. I am not dissing any other brands out there and I know that guys who use stuff every day need GOOD stuff! I have read several posts on this excellent forum regarding other excellent quality tools from brands I never even heard of. I wish you luck, 747, with your quest. May you find something reliable without breaking the bank! :)

Anybody have recommendations? I was at Lowe's last year and picked up a stainless Shop Vac dirt cheap (after Christmas sale), it lasted a year:BangHead:.. It's running but it's lost a lot of oomph and smells like it's going to catch fire at any moment lol. I was at Lowe's again this weekend and all they have is Shop Vac and Craftsmen, 2 brands I will not buy! The local hardware store has a Porta Cable, we've had great luck with their routers and drills but also was looking at the Dewalts and Rigid vacs... no more junk!

Had my Craftsman shop vac now for 20+ years and it's still working great. The filters get clogged up and have to be beaten clean from time to time, but never had any issues with it. It's even been used as a wet vac when I had a little water issues in the past . . .

Maybe I bought mine long enough ago when they still "had" quality in the vacs ? ? ? Who knows . . .

Had my Craftsman shop vac now for 20+ years and it's still working great. The filters get clogged up and have to be beaten clean from time to time, but never had any issues with it. It's even been used as a wet vac when I had a little water issues in the past . . .

Maybe I bought mine long enough ago when they still "had" quality in the vacs ? ? ? Who knows . . .
Probably, we still have a few older Craftsmen power tools that have been excellent but nothing recently.

I ditched my shop vac and installed a central vac unit. I primarily use it as the vac source for my blast cabinet so I installed it close to that unit for easy on/off access. The nice thing about a central vac is they're robust and the only critical component is the motor which is easily replaced and inexpensive. I use a disposable paper filter bag in it.
I couldn't agree more, we installed a central vac in the house a long time ago and absolutely love it. I've thought about doing the same in the garage but need something portable that can be used for sucking up water as well.

Probably, we still have a few older Craftsmen power tools that have been excellent but nothing recently.

Craftsman used to make a very high quality product. Now their stuff is low quality when compared to Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.... My cousins stepdad had 4 old Sears lawn mowers that would run forever. Now if you get 5 years outta something like that its a miracle! I do like the Rigid shop vac. We had one at work and beat the hell outta it and it seemed to take whatever.

To each his own, but my Craftsman 16 gallon Shopvac is almost 40 years old and still works like a charm and really "sucks", in a good way. Of course I also realize that my old Craftsman stuff was all made in the USA! I got over 33 years out of a Kenmore washer, 22 years from a Kenmore dryer, 40 years out of a Craftsman variable speed 3/8" reversible drill, which still works but the bearings are now very sloppy. I got 2 free rebuilds on my Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. Almost everything today is imported garbage at a premium price. I started buying Ridgid cordless tools because they have a lifetime warranty, even the batteries. I know that there are better tools out there but I don't use them all the time and my budget doesn't allow much wiggle room. I recently bought a Porter-Cable 3 gallon 150 psi (re-conditioned) compressor, which I like. However now I see why they were (reconditioned)! The 3 point compressor mounting system is a joke and mine arrived with a cracked mounting tab. I dogged it down under the bottom support legs and it will work, but it is a design flaw. I can't complain for 1/2 price. I am not dissing any other brands out there and I know that guys who use stuff every day need GOOD stuff! I have read several posts on this excellent forum regarding other excellent quality tools from brands I never even heard of. I wish you luck, 747, with your quest. May you find something reliable without breaking the bank! :)

Heck even Black and Decker used to make good stuff but that's the problem, so many have went over to a home owners mentality where the average Joe uses their tools very little. You have to be careful which Stihl or Husky chainsaw you buy now days because even they make home owner grade saws.

Last edited:
2 Craftsman and 1 Maxi-Vac. All have run great for decades.

My Maxi had slowed down once. Pulled the motor, cleaned and lubed and it was as good as new.

2 Craftsman and 1 Maxi-Vac. All have run great for decades.

My Maxi had slowed down once. Pulled the motor, cleaned and lubed and it was as good as new.
Again "Decades" implies that it's from back when they made good stuff lol.

in the shop
2496725d-d640-4c65-a33d-c898bc0daf9a.jpg
and have another for for my shop tools

Craftsman used to make a very high quality product. Now their stuff is low quality when compared to Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.... My cousins stepdad had 4 old Sears lawn mowers that would run forever. Now if you get 5 years outta something like that its a miracle! I do like the Rigid shop vac. We had one at work and beat the hell outta it and it seemed to take whatever.
Agree....this is now and some in support of craftsman was way back then

As a retired Detail business owner, put many, many hours on vacs. Shop Vacs: went through 3 in no time. Switches all went bad. Bought a 6hp. Craftsman about 2010.../no problems ever. Still have it, works like a charm. You gotta keep them clean. Blow out filters with air hose.

Now days you take a chance buying power equipment. It's hit or miss. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

I lucked out with a Lowes Shop Vac. It's 15 years old and still works fine. Sucking up water really puts them to the test and I've had to use it for that many times.

If you research tools you'll find that a lot of different brands are made by the same manufacturer just different color and different labels.

Auto Transport Service
Back