• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shortest Production V8?

RGAZ

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
Looking for some general knowledge. What is the shortest, and common, V8 that was used in a production car (even modern)? I know the angle of the V makes a difference, but if the intake gets tall it pretty much ruins it. LS's are taller than I expected and modern Mopar appear really tall.

Any thoughts on what the shortest (from pan to carb/intake).

If you ask why its because I like to put engines in cars they are not intended for and I have a car with a really low hood I am considering.

Thoughts?
RGAZ

They only made those stupid Cadillac 4100 V8’s for a short time. :D

When I read your question I thought you meant the shortest production RUN V8. In 2019 Cadillac had the V8 Blackwing that made 500 or 550 hp. Only 1200 engines were built making each engine come in at a cost of $13,000 each!

All aluminum Buick 215. Later 300/340 cranks can be used as stroker cranks. Rover bought the design, and built lots more of them than Buick ever did.

260/289 fords are tiny
The 221 and the 302 are the same size but the 302 is probably easier to find. They fit in the 1st gen Mudstains with room to spare but don't know if they are the shortest.

The 221 and the 302 are the same size but the 302 is probably easier to find. They fit in the 1st gen Mudstains with room to spare but don't know if they are the shortest.
Actually, a 302 Ford is narrower than a small block Chevy, but slightly longer.

When I read your question I thought you meant the shortest production RUN V8. In 2019 Cadillac had the V8 Blackwing that made 500 or 550 hp. Only 1200 engines were built making each engine come in at a cost of $13,000 each!

LOL, yeah I was talking about physical size of a common engine.

I was considering a foreign option, but it has to have real aftermarket support and not high dollar. Porsche and Subaru (I cannot afford a WRX engine) might be out. And it has to RWD configuration, no AWD or transverse stuff.

Thanks for the link, it definitely helped.
RGAZ

As mentioned, the Buick 215 V8 was a very popular engine when used in British applications. It isn't scarce at all, being in production for over forty years in various versions. You have the heritage of an engine that raced in Indy (Mickey Thompson, 1962) and was used in cool stuff like the Morgan 8, TVR, MGB GT V8 as well as countless Rovers, Land Rovers and the Triumph TR8. It's about 28" tall.
https://www.thewedgeshop.com/rover-v81.html

All aluminum Buick 215. Later 300/340 cranks can be used as stroker cranks. Rover bought the design, and built lots more of them than Buick ever did.
I was going to suggest the Buick....I had a Range Rover with the small block Buick V8 in it.

Many (too many!) years ago, I had a friend who built a Vega with a 215 in it. Stock Vegas were a 18-19 second machine, his ran low 14s. Then one day at Irwindale (the original one) it was ripping off 11 second laps. He had swapped in a 327 (ha ha! Shush, 383) and started winning street races. He made more money proving it didn't have nitrous than racing it. ( until it did!)
Edit: in the seventies, a street driven 11 second car was a rocket ship! Today, not so much.

The RB 383 was only one or two years.

Toyota made a Hemi V8 for the foreign market
I don't think any made it here unless imported specifically
I don't know any of the specs or dimensions, you could look it up

I saw one in a Morris Minor way back when,
looked like a gasser vibe, Car Craft Sacramento IIRC like 1982-ish
it was tiny version of a Hemi V8
fit the lil' car pretty damn well, looked pretty sharp too

Engine Toyota Hemi.jpg

Toyota made a Hemi V8 for the foreign market
I don't think any made it here unless imported specifically
I don't know any of the specs or dimensions, you could look it up

I saw one in a Morris Minor way back when,
looked like a gasser vibe, Car Craft Sacramento IIRC like 1982-ish
it was tiny version of a Hemi V8
fit the lil' car pretty damn well, looked pretty sharp too

View attachment 1205577
They are very popular here with stock car (rowdy rounders) and the sprint boat guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back