• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy an 89 Daytona?

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
So I was surfing marketplace as per usual, and I came across a diamond. That is, a product of Diamond Star Motors:
A 1989 Daytona... and a Shelby at that. In Quincy, 45 miles from me! And a manual! For $2000! It has to be too good to be true. The "instrument panel doesn't work". I am not a fwd Chrysler expert, is 89 a year with the digital dash? How hard would it be too fix? The listing says nothing about driving, only that it runs good. 145,000 miles is fine for me. Is it a steal for me or a steal for him? I did notice the crew cab swept line in the background, a sign of a trustworthy man for sure.

I had a 85 Shelby Charger and 88 Shelby Lancer Both 2.2 turbo 5 speed cars, with the Lancer a intercooler 189hp turbo II.

Cheap and easy to repair. Head gaskets are a common failure. Forward Motion is a great resource for parts and advice.

I miss these cars and could see myself in a Shelby Charger again some day.

These are cheaply built K Cars in disguise, so beware of rust.

In ‘89 you could get an optional digital dash. I don’t think a lot were made with the digital dash though.

I personally think the 89’s were the best year because they still have the pop up headlights and the old style interior and it was the first year for the full ground effects. In 90 they changed the interior and then 92 they no longer had the pop up headlights.

The 89 Shelby will also have the biggest brakes. If I remember correctly the only model that had bigger brakes are the Iroc R/Ts in 92&93.

88 and 89 share all the same wiring throughout the car and use the same computer for the engine. 87 had different wiring & engine computer and then 90 went to a different style engine computer again.

Most have rust in the driver side floor right where the ebrake cable comes through.

So I was surfing marketplace as per usual, and I came across a diamond. That is, a product of Diamond Star Motors:
A 1989 Daytona... and a Shelby at that. In Quincy, 45 miles from me! And a manual! For $2000! It has to be too good to be true. The "instrument panel doesn't work". I am not a fwd Chrysler expert, is 89 a year with the digital dash? How hard would it be too fix? The listing says nothing about driving, only that it runs good. 145,000 miles is fine for me. Is it a steal for me or a steal for him? I did notice the crew cab swept line in the background, a sign of a trustworthy man for sure.
That Daytona has nothing to do with Diamond Star Motors. The Dodge Daytona (and Chrysler Laser) was the G Body, which was derived from the K-car.
There was a Plymouth Laser and Eagle Talon, different car, that was a DSM vehicle.

But aside from that, I always liked them, especially the Shelby versions. If it was close by, I'd be tempted.

Last edited:
Cool cars, just be prepared to become an expert on the repairs aspect. Lots of knowledge out there

Brush up on troubleshooting vacuum, electronics, and the transmission, esp the shifter linkage.

FUN cars but all those things break.....a lot.

My grandfather loved those 80s FWD cars. My first car was a basket case 84 Daytona turbo z, the engine was trashed and I tried putting a 88 “turbo 2” in. I couldn’t get it running because the electronics were completely different, and I’m kinda dumb when it comes to that. So and gave up on it, I kinda regret not figuring it out, but the passenger rocker was gone, half the floor pan was gone, and no title. They’re neat cars, and you don’t see a lot of them, go for it! It’ll be a good daily driver.

72DF4EBA-A00E-4504-BA95-A6591BE1CEB9.jpeg

I had an 86 Lazer turbo that I loved. Wish I never got rid of it.
Shift cables got worn and would pop off the transmission but they're not to hard to replace.
The 2.2 Turbo was a lot of fun

I have had 3 85 86 versions of them
I like the T roof better because it was just a little more head room for my hat :)

If you are a very tall person I can see the fun of climbing in and out of the car taking away some of the joy

Cool car once you are behind the wheel
I have thought about getting another and have sat in a few
Either my butt got wider or the seat foam was starting to break down and with the way the seat wraps around you on both sides made it uncomfortable very quick
The stupid computer right behind the battery box is another thing
Back when playing with the junk yard vesion you could find parts around
They have to match perfectly to get the right wiring
Will be very hard to find the right spare parts now if you need them

If that is what you can afford for a toy car then fine but I feel time spent on a nicer classic will pay off better in the end for the fun factor

The seats in my Coronet are out of an 89 Daytona wreck from a Yard near Palmerton. A roll over. Took em out on a snowy day. I find them comfortable. Nearly worn out now. That was back in 89. They mounted easy on the 69 runners too.

Yeah, IMO FWD Daytona seats are literally the most comfortable seats in a car I've ever sat in.

I even have a pair of the checkerboard upholstery pattern ones I've been saving.

My Shelby Lancer had the same seats and to this day my wife claims those were the best seats out of any car I've ever owned.

Even with all the new cars since then seemingly paying more attention to things like that, those are still my all time favorite, and were fairly early entries in that game.

That sounds pricey to me, but maybe it is a really solid body and interior. Don't expect it to be fast. It can be fun, but if you have an itch for a small engine run about I think something 90's japanese would be more reliable and easier to fix on.
For the money, I think you could also have a lot more fun with a 70's car. No early 70s', and maybe not a 2 door for that money, but more door mopars are a lot lighter then they look and can be a real hoon.

Auto Transport Service
Back