• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I cancel my trip to Italy ?

Should I cancel my trip to Italy

• Yes

Votes: 38 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters

coronet68mx

Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
My wife and I just celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary last January, I want to surprise her and I get a credit to go to Italy in exactly one month, now due the turn of events with Covid-19 am tempted, really tempted to cancel the trip, but everything is paid for, plane tickets, hotel, train tickets, that's a lot of money for me, what would you guys do ?

Italy is one of the growing hot beds for the virus. It has been hit pretty hard with recent quarantines and other containment actions. If it was me I think I would postpone for a few months to let things settle down. Can you do that or is all you’ve paid at risk?

Travel insurance and a letter from your government stating travel to Italy is not advised is your only out...

The plane tickets are the only thing you would be on the hook for. The rest you should be able to cancel and get refunds. Tell the airline your plans have changed and you need to reschedule. They’ll charge you a couple hundred bucks for that and you can use at a later date.

My guess is Florence will still be there when this is all over. And it will be more fun because you guys won’t be the only ones there.....

I agree with what was said... You should be able cancel most NOW free of charge but the air fare is something you may lose some on but if you reschedule they should work with you... In the end No matter what the cost is it is not worth potentially either one of you dying over...

If your going to lose most of your money I would wait as long as possible. Bring a supply of masks if it still going on.

The key part would be the crowded places and the the motion restrictions if all the places that we want to go are going to be closed there's no point for me to go, besides if the Italian government ban the mass gathering like for example vist the Vatican or go to a museum or the train trips, stay only in the hotel or having problems in our trip back is a calvary that I don't want my wife to suffer.

We were planning to go to Ireland in may.
Now we are thinking of perhaps September. I'm not worried about the virus as much as the possibility of getting quarantined or additional hassles while traveling internationally. You saw the story of the cruise ship. It will likely get worse, stock market plunged today...

The key part would be the crowded places and the the motion restrictions if all the places that we want to go are going to be closed there's no point for me to go, besides if the Italian government ban the mass gathering like for example vist the Vatican or go to a museum or the train trips, stay only in the hotel or having problems in our trip back is a calvary that I don't want my wife to suffer.
Reschedule Leon - why put you two through that if you do t have to. I saw Florence today on the news and it looked like a ghost town. We’re going to Costa Rica next week and I’m not to concerned because it’s in the opposite direction of most of the activity. A cruise to Alaska at the end of May - same lack of concern. Italy right now is a different story. I would change my plans and surprise her next Fall when you can enjoy the trip. Unfortunate but what are you going to do.

Reschedule Leon - why put you two through that if you do t have to. I saw Florence today on the news and it looked like a ghost town. We’re going to Costa Rica next week and I’m not to concerned because it’s in the opposite direction of most of the activity. A cruise to Alaska at the end of May - same lack of concern. Italy right now is a different story. I would change my plans and surprise her next Fall when you can enjoy the trip. Unfortunate but what are you going to do.
Right now we are discussing this, am reading to her all your opinions ( she doesn't speak English) and trying to make an idea of what to do, a loss of money seems inevitable...

When you eventually do go to Florence. I highly recommend the Pitti Palazzo and Boboli Gardens.

Go early on a sunny day. We went on a Monday when the museum was closed and there wasn't much of a crowd.
Work your way up to the highest point overlooking the city.
Get there by 11am.
At 11:30 or noon, all the church bells will go off simultaneously.
It's an experience you will not forget.
It was the highlight of my trip.

Last edited:
I just translate that sentence to my wife, she's cracking up laughing:rofl:
Lol glad I can make you laugh during a stressful time. Seriously though, money comes and goes trust me I’ve been on a roller coaster of a financial ride over the past couple years, you only get one life! Obviously exhaust all options such as rescheduling etc and try and make the financial hit as small as possible but don’t sweat it, the possible loss of funds is much better than the risk of deteriorating health!

Auto Transport Service
Back