• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I paint NOW!

BAFRAID

She’s looking like a Super Bee again!!
Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
image.jpg
I have already done the work needed in the engine comp and I just put down 2 coats of DP 2050 DTM PRIMER. I wasn’t planning on it but the primer came out perfect and everything looks good so I’m contemplating laying down some color right now. Top coat time For the primer says between one hour and four days to topcoat. Temperature outside is about 55° but in the garage is probably just under 70. Not sure what would stop me but I’m hesitating. Should I do it?

View attachment 1030722 I have already done the work needed in the engine comp and I just put down 2 coats of DP 2050 DTM PRIMER. I wasn’t planning on it but the primer came out perfect and everything looks good so I’m contemplating laying down some color right now. Top coat time For the primer says between one hour and four days to topcoat. Temperature outside is about 55° but in the garage is probably just under 70. Not sure what would stop me but I’m hesitating. Should I do it?
You could have put color over that epoxy primer, letting it flash as directed for the product. Don't delay. If you wait to long
everything will have to be sanded. Use heat lamps to warm the air. Refrain from propane or kerosene heaters as they can cause fish eye.

I though it was VP 2050. Anyway, you are a few hours ahead of Michigan so you might have the time. Just remember, tack off the surface, 2-3 coats of base with flash time allowed as per the tech sheet (I usually tack between each coat), follow by 2-3 coats of clear (more if you want to color sand on the heavy side), it all takes time. Don't rush since that is when things go all to ****. Primer you can usually fix, not so much with paint. But if you have the time, I see no reason to wait on anything.

I though it was VP 2050. Anyway, you are a few hours ahead of Michigan so you might have the time. Just remember, tack off the surface, 2-3 coats of base with flash time allowed as per the tech sheet (I usually tack between each coat), follow by 2-3 coats of clear (more if you want to color sand on the heavy side), it all takes time. Don't rush since that is when things go all to ****. Primer you can usually fix, not so much with paint. But if you have the time, I see no reason to wait on anything.
Yes, VP. I primed less than an hour ago. Say up to 4 day before sanding is required. It’s touchable but slight tack. I’m gonna go for it!!

It’s down to 55 deg in the garage now. I can’t find any specific temp ranges except 70 deg for optimal. Maybe I should wait.

I wouldn't spay at less than 70 degrees. Get a heater out there to warm it up before you spray.

I don’t have a heater so I’ll have to wait till tomorrow late morning. It says I have up to four days to topcoat

No issues with waiting if you can't hold at least 65 degrees in the garage. Even with a fast reducer, 55 degree metal is pretty cold to spay on, at least with the auto coatings we are using. There are some tricks one can use, but if you don't have to have it done, I would do as you appear to be doing, and wait. You can take your paint in the house to keep it warm overnight, then you only fighting one issue at a time (cold sheet metal) in the morning. Best of luck.

78313E10-07F6-4442-B0F8-7C45F1472757.jpeg
I STARTED!!! Man, spaying 2 stage color is SO different than single. This stuff is like watered down baby powder. I way over sprayed the first couple areas and it started running and cracking. I reset, adjusted the gun and figured it out. I dabbed the heavy cracked areas with a clean rag and recovered. Came out great! Yellow is also a difficult color to spray.

Was able to get the color down. Since this is my first time painting a car with two stage I was surprised at how thin the paint was. I had to readjust my gun and my technique. Is the clearcoat normally as thin as the paint?

Like spraying water, will run pretty easy. Spray it like you want it to look, a little like single stage but not so heavy. I usually use wide open fan and wide open supply.

If you can, change to a 1.3 tip (or 1.4), increase the air a little (around 29-30 psi to the gun), run a 50% overlap, and keep distance at around 4-6" away from panel. That should give you a starting point to try on a test panel.

A735B781-DACB-421F-B426-3D739B0C638B.jpeg
586FA490-4B96-4F81-A6AC-09EA6E325364.jpeg
D7217DBE-F64B-49CC-8086-11701282C243.jpeg
If you can, change to a 1.3 tip (or 1.4), increase the air a little (around 29-30 psi to the gun), run a 50% overlap, and keep distance at around 4-6" away from panel. That should give you a starting point to try on a test panel.

Auto Transport Service
Back