• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should i remove my fender tag?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about removing my fender tag (just held on with 2 screws) and keep it together with all the other documentation of my car because i fear it could be stolen and then i can't prove that my car is a real r/t.
My dad on the other hand thinks that if i remove it and you can see the marks on the screws (paint peeling) that people will think the tag is not original to the car.

I do not think this is the case but what would you do or think as a potential buyer?

Keep it on the car. Separating it from the car is how they get lost and the value of the car plummets

Keep it on the car. Separating it from the car is how they get lost and the value of the car plummets

You know i just got this nightmare about leaving my car at a shop to get some work done (that i can't do myself) and getting it back without the fender tag.

I remove them and keep them safe. Take pictures of both sides.

someone gets a cute idea and the car owner is out a tag. Forever. Better the original in safe keeping than a fake tag on the car.

If someone thinks your tag is fake, and you care, then show them The body numbers. They body numbers are also on the tag.

I'm going to keep my original fender tag on the Charger after the restoration, but I bought pan head machine screws that look just like the original screws from the top but they will have nylock nuts underneath so they cant be popped out with a screwdriver

Double nut em

With nylocks lol

Who gives a damn if someone at a car show thinks your car if a fake..... You know what it is & the person talking crap probably drove a Toyota to the show... Hell screw a fender tag off a Cordoba on the car & really mess with them..

Remove one screw, lift the tag slightly, put some super glue underneath it, screw the tag back down.

Anyone trying to steal the tag willhave a hard time doing it.

Why would someone steal a fender tag? I know it happens, but don't understand what the thief is gaining by taking a tag? I have never worried about it happening, but this makes me wonder. Do people just want to collect them?

Never had a concern about that; in 40 years of having my cars at shows, only thing that ever happened was at a Goodguys deal in California where some moron spilled beer on my fender. I didn't see it happen, so that nimrod is probably still out there...

I say leave it on. Mine was taken off my car "for safe keeping" by a previous owner. It is now lost forever. Keep it with the car!

(The only exception may be for a short time while the car is getting bodywork at a body shop, but if you are afraid they will lose the tag, do you trust them for other stuff?)

I'm going to keep my original fender tag on the Charger after the restoration, but I bought pan head machine screws that look just like the original screws from the top but they will have nylock nuts underneath so they cant be popped out with a screwdriver

The tag disappeared off my '71 Road Runner at a car show about 15 years ago, at a Mopar only show no less. I did the screw and lock nut program on my '68 GTX.

I think tags have more chance of getting lost if removed it for ”safekeeping“ than of getting stolen at a show.
That’s happened a lot. Maybe you won’t forget where it is, but what if something happens to you, will your family or survivors know where it is or even what a fender tag is?
I put a repop tag on my T/A and wonder what I should do with its real tag and Mr Norm paperwork. I am thinking the tag should go in the console. The paperwork can’t go in the car though, it might deteriorate.
My convertibles tag is buried under an AC line, I think it’s safe.
I wonder if there are any tamperproof screws small enough to use to secure a fender tag?
Otherwise shutting the hood when you aren’t with the car is an option.

When I take a fender tag off to work on a vehicle, it and the screws immediately go in the envelope with the title, in the gun safe next to the loaded .45. All safe.

I wonder if there are any tamperproof screws small enough to use to secure a fender tag?
Mc Master Carr doesn't seem to offer any security screws with sheet metal threads, only machine threads.... But with some searching I'll bet you could find them.... Mc Master Carr does offer Machine thread security screws down to 4-40 thread so small enough they would drop through the stock holt without enlarging it.... Not sure if 6-32 will drop through but I'm sure it'll thread through...

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 8.02.11 AM.png

Auto Transport Service
Back