• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should this turd be saved....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
Guys, saved this 71 from the crusher, but now having thoughts should it just be a parts car. Its just a plain Jane 71, small block, low option car. Trunk is good and minimal rust in front floorboard. BUT, some one in the past rolled down the windows, wrapped a cable around the roof and picked the car up with a fork lift. Cable crushed both sides of the roof. I do not have the skills to fix that. AMD does not list a roof skin for this model. So, if invested 10 grand in a restoration , what would the car be worth, 8 grand....maybe? I have returned several old clunkers to desirable cars again, and hope long after I m gone someone else can enjoy them. As I say, they only made so many and many fade away each year. But wondering after many of us old farts are gone if any young uns will care. Thanks
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg

Maybe try to find a younger guy to buy it for cheap. He will eventually maybe figure out it is too far gone, monetarily, to fix, but he may be content to just sit in it and dream. The seed will be planted though, and who knows where it might lead.

Part it out so others may live.

Step #1 Get it road worthy
Step #2 Paint Confederate Flag on top
Step#3 Insure w/Hagerty
Step #4 Park at a Protest
Step #5 Collect money and buy another Mopar

:lol:

That roof repair would be the least of your worries
My friend rolled his 79 Chevy van and I used a house jack to bring thee roof back in shape to get a windshield to fit in withoput leaks

I have a 72 Charger here in Pa. with good roof sides that could fix that easily... The center of the roof on mine is destroyed but 8-10 inches in on each side is perfect and could repair that easily...

Get it running and put minimal money into it and drive it. That story about the roof is gonna get more interest than some nicer looking cars. It's part of its story.

I’d say if you have other cars that fit the bill keep it and use for a parts car. Otherwise I’d sell it.

Well, that is an idea. Get it drivable ....who knows someone may want it....ha ha....thanks all.......

If that's all that's wrong with it, that's not that bad. Maybe some auto school could use it to learn restoration on...These "kids" love these old cool cars because they don't look like every other damn jelly bean out on the road today. Did you pay a lot for it? What's the interior like? I have a '71 barn find that was converted in to a race car. It drives really well, shifts nicely, good car! Gets a lot of attention (maybe because it is screaming yellow and black!)

Whenever I've had my "old" Mopars in a school shop, the young guys are usually knocking themselves out to get to work on it.

DSC_1373.jpg
DSC_1362.jpg
DSC_1364.jpg

Please save it to be restored. My Dad had some nice rides and a favorite of mine was his new 71 Charger as Dad and Mom ordered, dark green, blk vinyl top, green interior, bench seat, 318, dog dishes. A great performing car

Auto Transport Service
Back