• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shoutout for mrrandyj

Shorthorse

Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
I love it when somebody comes up with a great idea. I just received my set of tie down plates from mrrandyj. He made mine for my Dana with Caltracs which look a little different than this picture. They bolt under the existing shock plates. I was so tired of messing with axle straps and these fit perfectly. Randy's a good guy to deal with. Modest price and great value.
Plates.jpg

Those are terrific. My loops were welded to shock plates. Not this neat. I set my car in trailer where I like it to ride and made two chains with quick hooks on each end. When I pull it in to where rear wheels are at hinge its easy to crawl under and snap the hooks. Then I pull it with winch til chains tighten and center. I then chain front to loops I welded to K member and snug with chain tensioner. I usually relax winch just a touch and it rides super. Loads same every time. Love your parts. Dave

Tie downs are better placed on the chassis to pull the car down so there is no shock movement.

Tie downs are better placed on the chassis to pull the car down so there is no shock movement.
I've heard that before but there are certain things I wonder about. I always get the feeling that people are saying that race shocks are delicate and easily damaged. Maybe someone can set me straight.
First - If I tie my car down by the frame I have to completely bottom the shock out to attain 0 movement. Otherwise there can still be movement and any additional compression will cause the strap to momentarily go slack. Given the angle of most trailer anchor points I'm not sure you could get full compression unless you have a way to pull directly down on the frame. Also, what if any, is the effect on a shock to be forced and locked compressed?
Second - As for rear shocks, why is it considered to be harmful to tow them uncompressed when I subject them to hard hits once I'm at the track? If you're a wheel stander you're front shocks have to be taking a hell of a beating. No movement in a trailer will equal that.
Third - I'm running Rancho 9 way shocks. These shocks are also marketed for off road use. Certainly they can withstand a few hours in a trailer on paved roads.
Lastly - My trailer has torsion axles. Do my trailer axles dampen the road to some extent or do they tend to multiply the motion of the car inside?
Just asking.

I've heard that before but there are certain things I wonder about. I always get the feeling that people are saying that race shocks are delicate and easily damaged. Maybe someone can set me straight.
First - If I tie my car down by the frame I have to completely bottom the shock out to attain 0 movement. Otherwise there can still be movement and any additional compression will cause the strap to momentarily go slack. Given the angle of most trailer anchor points I'm not sure you could get full compression unless you have a way to pull directly down on the frame. Also, what if any, is the effect on a shock to be forced and locked compressed?
Second - As for rear shocks, why is it considered to be harmful to tow them uncompressed when I subject them to hard hits once I'm at the track? If you're a wheel stander you're front shocks have to be taking a hell of a beating. No movement in a trailer will equal that.
Third - I'm running Rancho 9 way shocks. These shocks are also marketed for off road use. Certainly they can withstand a few hours in a trailer on paved roads.
Lastly - My trailer has torsion axles. Do my trailer axles dampen the road to some extent or do they tend to multiply the motion of the car inside?
Just asking.
1- Do not need to compress the shock that far.Need tie down in all 4 corners of the car snug with little compression.That will keep the car from bouncing on the trailer and the trailer suspension does all the work.

2- Not really harmfull,just wears them out sooner. When you use a better DA shock it's better to keep them from getting hot.

3- That is what the trailer is supposed to and absorb rough road bouncing.

I bought a pair of tie down brackets from Mancini and mounted them on the lower shock mount bolt on my ladder bar setup. Works great. Easy to reach and no axle straps required.

Mancini Bracket.jpg

I bought a pair of tie down brackets from Mancini and mounted them on the lower shock mount bolt on my ladder bar setup. Works great. Easy to reach and no axle straps required.

View attachment 1010127
—-
Mike do you cross the rear tie downs or go straight back to your floor brackets?

My 2 cents on the Mancini mount:
I had them a few years ago. Unless they changed them when I crisscrossed them they had a tendency to bend.
I have used the factory brackets see pic in the rear. The front has brackets similar to Mancini but thicker steel with no bending.

19100463-18FC-4817-B6DE-A12CB572B2F2.jpeg 25C6F01A-6C39-4373-9A4F-D7D8B71C66A6.jpeg View attachment 1020630

Auto Transport Service
Back