• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shroud , fan depth , spacer question.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
I am installing a new champion 26" down flow 3 core radiator in my 67 Coronet.
I have a question about fan depth in the shroud with my fixed 18" mechanical fan and spacer the fan blades are all the way into the shroud, Shroud is older C body plastic.
The fan blades are 1 & 1/2" back from the core.

To pull the fan back out of the shroud some I can use a shorter spacer but I am not sure how far back I can run off the core and still have good low speed air flow? I know most folks say to have it 1/2 way into the shroud

Or should I leave it in the shroud and closer to the radiator ?
In the near future there will be a A/C condenser in front of the rad also.

When I went with the thick, high quality Griffin radiator, things got tight with the fan on the 440.
I could not run even the shorter "Jaguar" fan clutch and had to go direct drive on the fan.
Reason?
One has to keep the fan a good 1" off the face of the radiator (some say 3/4" minimum
but given the nature of these beasts to have the engine sitting at a slight angle front-rear, it gets
weird. I chose 1" top/ 3/4" bottom clearance) to allow for movement of engine and such.
Yes, I was told half in - half out on the fan to shroud spacing; Griffin advised more like 2/3 in - 1/3 out,
which is where I wound up putting it using a 1 1/2" fan spacer. I have a factory fan shroud, bought from
Ehrenberg on eBay and a 7 - blade fan from Summit that was recommended by some folks here.

When I went with the thick, high quality Griffin radiator, things got tight with the fan on the 440.
I could not run even the shorter "Jaguar" fan clutch and had to go direct drive on the fan.
Reason?
One has to keep the fan a good 1" off the face of the radiator (some say 3/4" minimum
but given the nature of these beasts to have the engine sitting at a slight angle front-rear, it gets
weird. I chose 1" top/ 3/4" bottom clearance) to allow for movement of engine and such.
Yes, I was told half in - half out on the fan to shroud spacing; Griffin advised more like 2/3 in - 1/3 out,
which is where I wound up putting it using a 1 1/2" fan spacer. I have a factory fan shroud, bought from
Ehrenberg on eBay and a 7 - blade fan from Summit that was recommended by some folks here.

Hi Ed, Thanks for the info. I am trying to figure out if moving the fan back from the radiator to get that 50/50 shroud depth will hurt the flow/cooling. By the way it is looking I will be near 3" off the rad with the blades.
Another thought was leave it 1&1/2" off and just skip the shroud ?

I remember this thread now and you buddy with the cut off wheel ( :
I will re read it.
That was actually a later thread but yeah, that was sorta scary.
If not for John's confidence and experience with the grinder/cutoff wheel, I'd have done something a lot
less effective and no doubt sloppier using a jigsaw or some such.
As it was, it all turned out fine and even sort of looks "right", as long as you don't look real close. :)

Hi Ed, Thanks for the info. I am trying to figure out if moving the fan back from the radiator to get that 50/50 shroud depth will hurt the flow/cooling. By the way it is looking I will be near 3" off the rad with the blades.
Another thought was leave it 1&1/2" off and just skip the shroud ?
That is the choice, right there.
If no shroud, you got to get the fan pretty close to the radiator (3/4" - 1").
With shroud, you revert to the "centering" to 2/3 in of the fan to shroud opening method.

Auto Transport Service
Back