• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side Clearances on Mopar Rocker Shafts ?

Mike Gaines

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I have Aluminum Roller Tip Rocker Arms from 440 Source. Many of you guys have Harland Sharp, Crane, Comp, Hughes and the like.
I have been told by various techs that the side clearance (set by adjusting shims) should be anywhere between .015" and .030"....so should they be set at .015 OR .030 ? Or just anywhere between these two.
Let me know where you guys set yours. Thanks.

Hi Mike, I'm running Crane Gold 1.6 roller rockers with the aluminum shaft hold downs .
I made sure the roller tip sits even on the valve tip, if i need more clearance to make that happen I milled down the sides of the hold downs a little and shim accordingly what ever it takes to fall with in the 15 to 30 guidelines I really don't think that if you needed .045,one extra shim is not going to hurt anything by milling the hold downs it allowed me to use 1 shim. so hold down,shim, rocker shim, spring,shim, rocker, shim hold down .... works for me good luck Mike your an inspiration to us all.

The instructions that came with the 440 Source rockers said to set the side clearances between .015 and .030 (and of course to have the roller tip dead center on the valve tip)....but...he said he would rather have the settings at .030 than at .015 as long as the rollers are centered on the valve tip. I believe the Hughes instructions say to set the side clearances at .012 so that is why I am confused..... .030 seems kind of "loose" to me...your thoughts...and more importantly what do you guys set yours at ?

20160730_125734.jpg

T&D paired which run roller bearings like a Harlan run at .001"
Doug

Hey Mike I have the .650 offset 440 source rockers, I set mine in the .020 range, so far have 2500 miles on them & a few 1/4 passes.

Think I'd be more concerned about keeping the roller centered on the valve tips.

I've run Comp Ultra Pro Magnum rockers for 5 years, 3 camshafts, and 200 plus runs with zero issues.
Comp recommends .030 min.
I would suggest you lean towards the loose side....to loose means a little more noise....too tight has much more serious consequences....
John B.

Auto Transport Service
Back