• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side-tracked - Not a shop but well needed firewood storage . . .

conv67bdere

Super Moderator
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Been needing to get this done for a while, but there never seems to be enough time in the day to get all my projects done ( and my others are a bit on hold due to this needing to get done ).

My neighbor lost ( 2 ) huge oak trees and the "abundance of free firewood ( free if I bust my butt to haul, split, and stack it ) has prompted me to figure out how I can take advantage of this and stock up on some firewood . . .

Here's the trees . . . First the biggest one . . .

sm_fallentree01.jpg

Parked the tractor next to it to give a better perspective of the size . . .

sm_fallentree02.jpg

Then there's this other one by his barns . . . .

sm_fallentree03.jpg

And believe it or not - it fell right between the two barns . . . no damage ( very lucky )
- he must be living life right . . .

sm_fallentree04.jpg

Unbelievable fall . . . really . . .

sm_fallentree05.jpg

Here's one of the cuttings I hauled back to my house . . .

sm_fallentree06.jpg

And the tree "mostly" all cut up and moved . . .

sm_fallentree07.jpg

Lot more firewood, free to the taking ( before it rots ) literally across the street from me . . . can't get much easier than that . . .

Now for the storage facility ( it's not really going to be a building ) Need the air flow to help dry out the green wood . . .

Here's the start . . . started off withe ( 3 ) rows . . . saw it done with 4 x 4 but that was not to my liking, so I went with 4 x 6's . . .

sm_firewoodstorage01.jpg

From the other side . . . the 6" width is for better holding of the wood ( as you will see shortly ) . . .

sm_firewoodstorage02.jpg

Add a couple 2 x 8's to the bottom to keep all the wood up off the ground . . .

sm_firewoodstorage03.jpg

Been fighting with the weather here, and all the rain, and trying to get this thing done . . . my center holes - full of rain water . . .

sm_firewoodstorage04.jpg

All (3) of the rows with the bottom support bolted in place . . .

sm_firewoodstorage05.jpg

Still need to get the center posts concreted in place . . .

sm_firewoodstorage06.jpg

This is the reason for the 6" width on the beam, for better support of the split firewood . . .

sm_firewoodstorage07.jpg

Finally was able to get the center posts concreted into place . . .

sm_firewoodstorage08.jpg

Then . . . decided that while I was at it, that ( 1 ) more row would probably be handy . . . and while I was at it . . .
Got up early Saturday morning and got the 4th row in place before the rains started ( luckily )

sm_firewoodstorage09.jpg

Titus is supervising the efforts and making sure that I'm not slacking off at the job . . . what a slave driver . . .

sm_firewoodstorage10.jpg

Now . . . it's time to work on the roof ( if it wasn't for the fact that it has rained ALL weekend . . .

This was the picture that I saw, and liked, and plan on the end result to be similar to this . . .

image001.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you. My dads property has massive oak trees and If I burn wood every day all winter for 5 winters and still its accumulated.

I've decided to have one of the trees milled into either bridgeplanks. Or most likely 1&1/8th planks and other furniture grade lumber. Also oak is great for smoking meats.

If there's a good mill near you I would suggest the same.

I cut 'free' firewood for 30 years but these days with the way my sinuses/allergies are, I don't do much burning or cooking with wood anymore :( One of the problems with storing it was insects and worms getting to it. Insect killer around the area helped but it was still a fight. Oak wasn't too bad but pecan was a fight to the finish. Worms loved it.

Nice, reminds me of this years work here and the fact I need a better place to store and dry our firewood.

Only thing I woukd have dont different woukd have been to raise the fkoor joist up about 18"...keep the copper heads out of the sticks!!!!

Only thing I woukd have dont different woukd have been to raise the fkoor joist up about 18"...keep the copper heads out of the sticks!!!!
Agree - and we got 'em over this way (and next door in NC).
Mostly concerned with the stinging flying demons from hell, though - issues with yellow jackets and wasps.

Trying to get some work done on the storage thingy . . . but this darn rain is relentless . . .

Got one more board up and a couple clamped up in position to show the intent of the roof . . .

sm_firewoodstorage11.jpg

The overhang in front will be a tad wider ( and taller ) as to try and keep the rain off me when I have to get firewood . . .
The "front" is to your left ( wanted to get a board clamped up here too - but gave up on the rain . . .
The "back" is to the right and has the roof board clamped into place

Rain ought to be about out of there. We've been enjoying a gorgeous sunny day with 65F
over here on this side of the state line!

Your giving me ideas:thumbsup:. With us relying solely on wood heat it's time to make life easier... NO MORE TARPS! My location for stacking is on a decent grade, think your idea could serve 2 purposes, 1 easy way to level the stacks with no dirt work and 2 it surely would help the wood dry quicker. Looks really good Kahn, keep the ideas coming so I can just copy it next summer lol.

Got a little bit of time in the past two nights, but it's dark by the time I get home . . . so I try using a couple flood lights, but it's not the "best" way to be able to see what you're doing while you're freezing your butt off . . . but made some progress on the shed . . .

Got the supports in place to hold the ridge beam, the hangers on the ridge beam ( both sides ), got the ridge beam in place ( and secured ), and it's ready for the first side of the roof rafters to go up . . .

sm_firewoodstorage12.jpg

This is the rafter to ridge beam connection . . . should work out just fine and support everything . . .

sm_firewoodstorage13.jpg

Now I can spend some time in the garage, cutting the rafters top and bottom angles . . . and get ready to get one side of the roof installed . . .

Small steps but making progress on this thing . . . just that we have a snow storm "predicted" for the area on Sunday, and Monday . . . 3 - 5 inches . . . Oh boy.
( the stores are probably already sold out of mile and bread . . . )

In preparation for the storm, started moving some of the wood for storage ( and drying ) onto the new structure . . . and to see how it was going to work . . .

sm_firewoodstorage14.jpg

Looks like my spacing is good as I'll have some room between the rows for air flow and drying . . .

sm_firewoodstorage15.jpg

Since the stuff is now "contained", as opposed to free standing ( or I say free falling ) it stacks very nicely . . .

sm_firewoodstorage16.jpg

As a temporary solution, if I don't get the roof up before the storm, got spare tin thrown on top to protect it
( sorry @747mopar . . . not tarps here to cover the wood . . . not sure it's all that much better . . . )

sm_firewoodstorage17.jpg

Got most of the wood to get the roof up - just a matter of time in the day and the fact that it's supposed to rain all day Saturday . . . we'll see how it all goes . . .

At least with the spare tin covering it, it's pretty well protected and I can have "mostly" dry firewood in the cold . . .

Gawd do I hate Winter time and the lack of daylight to get stuff done . . . working under the spot lights is "not" the same as daylight, but they're calling for rain all day tomorrow followed by ( what they're calling ) the snowstorm of the century . . . we are slated to get 3-5, but they say if things work out ( uh, wrong ) we could get up to 18" of snow . . . do you have any idea what that is going to do to this area ? ? ?

Here's the progress on the wood storage shed . . . pecking away at it a little at a time . . .

Got a portion of the slanted roof done tonight . . . all except the far end rafter as they don't have the support that the center ones have in place . . .

sm_firewoodstorage18.jpg

Just a different view . . .

sm_firewoodstorage19.jpg

This could help a bit if the snow hits, but I don't think I've got enough time to get it all up before the rain and snow . . .

sm_firewoodstorage20.jpg

Plans are to go see TranSiberian Orchestra Saturday ( tomorrow ) night in Charlotte . . . Great show !

Actually got a chance to work in the daylight, and get some stuff done before the rain started . . .

After fixing up my ( 3 ) screw ups on this project . . . I was able to get all the rafters and purlins in place on one side of the storage unit. Now it's ready to start laying down the tin roofing . . . even got it gigured out ( I hope ) so that the over hangs on both sides will be the same . . .

sm_firewoodstorage21.jpg

got the ( 2 ) supported rafters on the other side in place and bolted in ( ugh, just remembered, need to fix that too - # 4 error . . . )

sm_firewoodstorage22.jpg

After I got the roof ready for tin, was able to move all the new firewood that was split, so far, into the storage unit and placed tin over them for the upcoming snow storm . . .

Your projects always have a unique twist to them, no cookie cutter construction here lol. Looks great and at that pitch you could just about roof it standing up haha.

The fuel that warms you 4 times, Buck ,split, haul and burn. One more for you a shed. I buy kiln dried end cuts from the mill, as much as you can load for $150. Doug Fir of course. Hard wood is 350 a cord oak or madrone the best.

Auto Transport Service
Back