• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side view mirror question

Darius

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
I bought a set of rally style mirrors and the yozod just threw them in a box with NO WRAPPING!!! guess what happened???
1. How do you remove the mirror glass from one of these types of mirror bodies.
2. Where can I get replacement mirror/glass for them???
Thanks for the input!

Though I've yet to try this myself, I've heard if you use a heat gun on the mirror itself, it will loosen the adhesive that secures it to the articulating mechanism. YMMV.

Dorman has them, I got a pair from summit. sorry, but I don't have the part number handy.

Just ordered them from Summit...THANKS!
Now, if I can just figure out how to change them..........

I used a heat gun to warm the glass and removed it piece by piece. Then scraped out teh little pieces and adhesive with a small screwdriver and brake cleaner.

Once you get the glass out, does it become apparent/easy to take the entire backing plate out...I mean, is there a screw that holds that plate onto the mount that allows it to swivel/adjust??

The 66-70 ones have a captive ball stud that is trapped by the three adjuster cables.
Non-removeble without damage IIRC.

The manual ones can be unscrewed.

I haven't been in a 71-74, but it's on my list!
I have a perfect set of 75-79 with passenger side remote adjust that I'd love to adapt to 71-74 mounts.

The 66-70 ones have a captive ball stud that is trapped by the three adjuster cables.
Non-removeble without damage IIRC.

The manual ones can be unscrewed.

I haven't been in a 71-74, but it's on my list!
I have a perfect set of 75-79 with passenger side remote adjust that I'd love to adapt to 71-74 mounts.

I am actually going to mount the 75-79 mirrors on a 70 GTX. I think I can swap the mounting posts from a set of 70 up A body rally style mirrors and make that work. If not, I will fab up an angled mounting plate that will be discreet and look good.....all of this ONLY if I can get that glass changed without destroying it. The ultimate deal would be to swap the remote cable to the pass side A body rally as I think they look better on the GTX

Dammit, it's hard enough to find race mirror for the
Late B's with out you guy cutting and customizing
them for those older B's. :icon_fU: LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back