• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side view Mirrors from Classic Industries

aknotts

Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone else used these mirrors from Classic industries.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1973/plymouth/satellite/parts/*881242.html

I received them yesterday and when installed on the drivers side the mirror points too far inward and will not adjust out far enough to be useful without having to lean forward and over to see. Am I just crazy, or are some of these reproduction parts just plain wrong.

Anyone have a suggestion for a sideview mirror that actually works? I would prefer chrome but at this point anything that would be useful will do. This is the second mirror I have ordered and had to return, the first from Summit Racing was simply not the right mount, even though they claimed it was for the 73-74 B Body Satellite.

Thanks

98% of reproduction parts basically “suck”......very few fit, function, and look like the original....

That being said have you contacted classic about this and to exchange it for another? Maybe you got a bum mirror...

98% of reproduction parts basically “suck”......very few fit, function, and look like the original....

That being said have you contacted classic about this and to exchange it for another? Maybe you got a bum mirror...

I will be contacting them today, I really don't see how it can be a bum mirror. The way the whole casing for the mirror is built, it points in towards the car so much that I don't see how it can be useable. When you adjust the mirror all the way out, and it does go all the way out until it bottoms out on the casing, you still see the side of the car. I am only 6' tall and do sit back some, but to see out of it correctly you have to be pushed all the way up damn near touching the steering wheel. I am guessing it is just another sucky aftermarket bad design. It looks great on the car and the finish is remarkable, it would be just fine if function was not a concern.

Here is my long drawn out story:

Issue #1

I bought the ones for 71-72 and I am assuming they are different because the products in the link say they are for 73-74 but the same logic would likely still apply. The mirrors themselves are nice enough but mine haven't been out in the sun for any length of time yet so I can not comment on durability. My issues started with the gasket sets and screws they provided. They ARE NOT OEM size, sure the holes line up but the base is slightly bigger than the factory and just slightly a different shape. You would never notice by looking at it and I was okay with that myself but when you try and use the gasket they provide with the setup, the gaskets are to small and don't fit properly around the mirror as if they gaskets were made from a different mold. The gaskets are also a hard plastic (not like the rubbery OEM) so your can not stretch or pull them to fit. My original gaskets would not work either since they were not long enough.

Issue #2

The screws they provided with the mirrors are wood type screws (not machined) that are designed to just go into the holes in your metal which would tear it up with out a backing plate. My original screws are not of the best shape anymore so I bought the machine screws on from classic but they they do not fit within the holes (screw bezel & head is way to large) of the aftermarket mirrors nor do they fit in the originals. They are at least the right size to bolt in your backing plate so they at least got the size correct. These screws are a complete waste of money! I knew they looked different in the picture but it looked blown up so I was hoping they might have a smaller head on them. In the end, I just used my originals even if the chrome heading aren't perfect.

Resolution

So how did Classic respond when I sent them pictures of my issues? About how you would expect I guess. Their response was to buy another set of gaskets from their website for $40.00 (which I can not find now so maybe something was done after all) and my response was that does not solve the issue that these are being sold with crappy gaskets and there is no guarantee the new ones will fit either, Especially since they come from the same manufacturer! They told me they do not make the parts, they only source them from OER and they would let OER know of the issue but there was nothing they could do for me unless I just wanted to return them. Thankfully I had ordered a full body gasket kit from Detroit Muscle (awesome company btw) and it happened to come with mirror gaskets. They to were slightly too small but I was able to stretch them just enough to work with the mirrors. Its not perfect but it still looks good and not many would notice. I could still go back and make it better but it was close enough and I scared of scratching my paint at this point. As for the screws, I had not ordered them at the time and since it was $10 bucks it was not worth the hassle of calling them back.

Now you have me worried mine wont function correctly when I get the seats in my car.

Recommendation:

I would return these and find original mirrors that have good mirror glass and have them re-chromed. Like Justin said almost everything aftermarket sucks and your better off reconditioning/restoring original pieces. It may cost more but now that I have gone through the process, more than worth it. I think Justin even said those exact words to me back when I met him a couple years ago and I wish I hadn't been so far into my project that I could have better used his advice. If I ever do this again, that is exactly what I will do!

Sorry for the long response, I just wanted to share my experience. Here are some photos & part numbers of the products I bought so you know not to try those:

Mirror.PNG

*881239 - 1971-74 Mopar B & E-Body Chrome Bullet Outer Door Mirrors Pair
Screws.PNG

MN2882 - 1971-74 B & E Outer Door Mirror Mounting Screw Set

Here is my long drawn out story:

Issue #1

I bought the ones for 71-72 and I am assuming they are different because the products in the link say they are for 73-74 but the same logic would likely still apply. The mirrors themselves are nice enough but mine haven't been out in the sun for any length of time yet so I can not comment on durability. My issues started with the gasket sets and screws they provided. They ARE NOT OEM size, sure the holes line up but the base is slightly bigger than the factory and just slightly a different shape. You would never notice by looking at it and I was okay with that myself but when you try and use the gasket they provide with the setup, the gaskets are to small and don't fit properly around the mirror as if they gaskets were made from a different mold. The gaskets are also a hard plastic (not like the rubbery OEM) so your can not stretch or pull them to fit. My original gaskets would not work either since they were not long enough.

Issue #2

The screws they provided with the mirrors are wood type screws (not machined) that are designed to just go into the holes in your metal which would tear it up with out a backing plate. My original screws are not of the best shape anymore so I bought the machine screws on from classic but they they do not fit within the holes (screw bezel & head is way to large) of the aftermarket mirrors nor do they fit in the originals. They are at least the right size to bolt in your backing plate so they at least got the size correct. These screws are a complete waste of money! I knew they looked different in the picture but it looked blown up so I was hoping they might have a smaller head on them. In the end, I just used my originals even if the chrome heading aren't perfect.

Resolution

So how did Classic respond when I sent them pictures of my issues? About how you would expect I guess. Their response was to buy another set of gaskets from their website for $40.00 (which I can not find now so maybe something was done after all) and my response was that does not solve the issue that these are being sold with crappy gaskets and there is no guarantee the new ones will fit either, Especially since they come from the same manufacturer! They told me they do not make the parts, they only source them from OER and they would let OER know of the issue but there was nothing they could do for me unless I just wanted to return them. Thankfully I had ordered a full body gasket kit from Detroit Muscle (awesome company btw) and it happened to come with mirror gaskets. They to were slightly too small but I was able to stretch them just enough to work with the mirrors. Its not perfect but it still looks good and not many would notice. I could still go back and make it better but it was close enough and I scared of scratching my paint at this point. As for the screws, I had not ordered them at the time and since it was $10 bucks it was not worth the hassle of calling them back.

Now you have me worried mine wont function correctly when I get the seats in my car.

Recommendation:

I would return these and find original mirrors that have good mirror glass and have them re-chromed. Like Justin said almost everything aftermarket sucks and your better off reconditioning/restoring original pieces. It may cost more but now that I have gone through the process, more than worth it. I think Justin even said those exact words to me back when I met him a couple years ago and I wish I hadn't been so far into my project that I could have better used his advice. If I ever do this again, that is exactly what I will do!

Sorry for the long response, I just wanted to share my experience. Here are some photos & part numbers of the products I bought so you know not to try those:

View attachment 734263
*881239 - 1971-74 Mopar B & E-Body Chrome Bullet Outer Door Mirrors Pair
View attachment 734264
MN2882 - 1971-74 B & E Outer Door Mirror Mounting Screw Set

No, they have not fixed the gasket issue either, nor the shitty wood screws they ship with. These are going back with a nasty gram to Classic about what has to be a known issue to them. I don't care if they are just a retailer and don't make the parts, if your customers are telling you the parts are not correct in any way, then why the hell do you still sell them. I have become disgusted with most of the after market suppliers selling basically junk, or parts that simply do not fit at all.

I ran into the same thing with Window felts from Year One, they were not even close to fitting, much less being correct as advertised. I found the correct ones from a suggestion on this board, and they are great.

As for the mirror, I guess I will start searching for an original and go from there.

Glad to know this info. Was needing a set for my 72 Charger. Anybody refurbish original ones by chance?

You can always blast/paint originals. These were done in a BMW silver, I can get you the paint code if you need it. It probably helps that the bumpers were done in the same color.

chally1b.jpg

Check with Jeff at 521 Restorations, they have the mirrors, TRIM-MRR073B-SET, here is the link to the page with mirrors, http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=bbody&sub1=Mirrors, his page says,
"Mirror Set - LH remote, RH manual. Chrome sport mirrors for 73-74 B Body. Replacement for 3695514/3695511. Only mirrors on the market that are coming with the correct 187709 reduced head mounting screws which will FIT in the mirror base!"

Check with Jeff at 521 Restorations, they have the mirrors, TRIM-MRR073B-SET, here is the link to the page with mirrors, http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=bbody&sub1=Mirrors, his page says,
"Mirror Set - LH remote, RH manual. Chrome sport mirrors for 73-74 B Body. Replacement for 3695514/3695511. Only mirrors on the market that are coming with the correct 187709 reduced head mounting screws which will FIT in the mirror base!"
Great thanks!

Thanks, I will give that a try if I can not find an original in descent shape. I think that is the guy I got the window felts from also.

Jeff is a good guy, he lives near me. I have an original set of chrome mirrors, but the are kind of scratched up, I haven't looked at them in a while.

From what I heard aftermarket mirrors are a pain to deal with the install. Then after you finally get them to look halfway decent they start falling apart. Chrome starts pitting and getting dull and the remote get loose and the glass starts flopping around. Buy originals to restore and If doing a serious restoration by NOS ones.

.....set of gaskets from their website for $40.00

$40.00 for a pair of mirror gaskets??? WTF!!!

Classic Industries is rearing it's ugly head towards being more like Year One. A mega establishment caring less & less about their customers and care more about volume. Keep stocking crappy items knowing that they're faulty but hoping that only a small % of customers squeak vs the ones that don't.

You're right DMT is a great company and here's their gaskets at $10.00 a pair.
https://www.detroitmuscletechnologi...body-71-72-b-body-rallye-mirror-gaskets-pair/

I bought the ones for 71-72 and I am assuming they are different because the products in the link say they are for 73-74 but the same logic would likely still apply.

yeap, diff between 71/72 and 73/74 but just as far I know for B bodies. E bodies are 71/74 the same. 70s are diff monster, being more narrowed on outer ends AND 70s E use the riveted nuts inserts. Then B bodies got the backing plate on both kind.

the diff betwen 71/72 and 73/74 B is the pedestal shape to acomodatte the diff screws provisions

RM7174ECHL_01.jpg

73/74:

RM7374BCHL_01.jpg

and of course the selftaping screws are wrong for this, they must be machined with small oval head.

these are the ones I got and worked PERFECT with my stock 73/74 backing plate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-74-Cuda...872782?hash=item59205a37ce:g:0e4AAMXQWuRQ9Xto

yeap, diff between 71/72 and 73/74 but just as far I know for B bodies. E bodies are 71/74 the same. 70s are diff monster, being more narrowed on outer ends AND 70s E use the riveted nuts inserts. Then B bodies got the backing plate on both kind.

the diff betwen 71/72 and 73/74 B is the pedestal shape to acomodatte the diff screws provisions

Most of this is correct but not all. 71-4 E-body same mirror as 71-2 B-body. Also with B-body lots of 71's also got the riveted insert nuts not just 70 E-body. E-body used riveted insert nuts all the way up to 74. Also the 71-2 B mirrors the pedestal is shorter than the 73-4 B mirrors it 's not just the location of the screws on the base.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back