• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sidewinder vs Stealth vs E-Street/RPM heads.

7t500

Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
Alright gurus, I need some help deciding which heads to choose. I have narrowed it down to Sidewinders, Stealths, E-street or RPMs. Street driven and mainly cruise to car shows and take the family out.

Engine is a 400-470 stroker using the 440 Source kit. I'm currently running stock 906 heads that were gone through for a previous build. Cam will be upgraded at the same time, most likely going with a Hughes cam and they have recommended their Seh3642bl-8 cam. I will be using their lifters and springs as well so will be swapping springs when I get the heads most likely. The headers are headman elites - I will have to look up part number on them. I have an edelbrock RPM, Weiand 8008, and Torker II intakes available. Fuel delivery will be Fitech 600 HP setup. Trans is 727 w/2500 stall and a 2.94 rear (to be upgraded eventually).

I like that the Sidewinders are set up for my application but I am wondering of I'll need more compression as I've calculated static compression to be about 9.6:1.

I like that the stealths should be an easy swap and no header issues due to plug angles. Static compression will be about 9.9:1, not great but not terrible...

The E-street heads pricepoint and manufacturer location appeal to me most. The spring specs don't concern me as I will be replacing them anyways. I do have concerns about spark plugs angles but research seems to indicate I should be fine. I do really like that with the 75cc version I will be around 10.3:1 static compression.

Thoughts? Considerations? Recommendations? Anything I missed?

Thanks in advance!

They'll all be fairly close in power for your setup, with the edge going to the RPMs...but if you wanna be driving it before winter, you might have to take what you can get...availability is tough these days.

I would likely go with the E-Street heads too.
The stealth heads stock spark plug location is nice for originality and factory exhaust manifolds, but not good for performance and detonation resistance.

They'll all be fairly close in power for your setup, with the edge going to the RPMs...but if you wanna be driving it before winter, you might have to take what you can get...availability is tough these days.

Good point. I was planning on this being a winter project so that should work just fine.

I would likely go with the E-Street heads too.
The stealth heads stock spark plug location is nice for originality and factory exhaust manifolds, but not good for performance and detonation resistance.

The E-streets are my front runner at the moment. The nice things about the stealths is that I already know my headers fit without issue... I want to support a smaller mopar shop but the sidewinders just don't have the compression or the flow of the others OOTB. I have talked to Todd about pricing for different levels of head improvements but then price gets above that of the others to match the performance....

In all seriousness, are you going to be doing dynos n for HP bragging rights or just want some dependable street driving? I've got the 440 Stealth heads. I had them worked over because I don't trust any aluminum head out of the box unless it comes from an actual machine shop. With my stroker kit n the block n head milling, I'm about 10.5:1. I'd rather sacrifice a few hp at 10:1 for better ping control on 91 Octane in 120° temps. If you are going to run out of the box and obviously going to replace some hardware, to me it comes down to ease of fitment and cost. Stealth wins both ways. And you will never notice on the streets 0.4:1 difference in compression.

Now, there are tons of people who've run heads out the box that have run just fine, I have as well. But now, at a minimum, I have any head checked 1st. Watch this video.
Aftermarket Cylinder Heads - Why You Shouldn't Just Bolt Them On - TRRC / VortecPro

In all seriousness, are you going to be doing dynos n for HP bragging rights or just want some dependable street driving? I've got the 440 Stealth heads. I had them worked over because I don't trust any aluminum head out of the box unless it comes from an actual machine shop. With my stroker kit n the block n head milling, I'm about 10.5:1. I'd rather sacrifice a few hp at 10:1 for better ping control on 91 Octane in 120° temps. If you are going to run out of the box and obviously going to replace some hardware, to me it comes down to ease of fitment and cost. Stealth wins both ways. And you will never notice on the streets 0.4:1 difference in compression.

Now, there are tons of people who've run heads out the box that have run just fine, I have as well. But now, at a minimum, I have any head checked 1st. Watch this video.
Aftermarket Cylinder Heads - Why You Shouldn't Just Bolt Them On - TRRC / VortecPro

Im.jusr looking for fun dependable driving. No bragging or dyno sheets needed here. I do like the pricepoint of the stealths and the straight plugs will definitely fit my headers. The other consideration for stealth are that the edelbrock 75cc offerings outflow the and have higher compression for only ~$100 more...

Stealth heads are finally back in stock.

I saw that! I'm not opposed to waiting if stealth is the best way to go. I'm hoping to get some good feedback on estreet vs stealth from people that have done one, the other, or both

My PN# 5090 E Streets flow 282 Cfms at .550" lift with VERY minimal work. I know what printed numbers say, but these are actual numbers. I'd bet there is a lot of salesmanship that goes on with printed numbers.

If you can't afford or don't want to spend the extra I would find a set of TF 240s myself.
Todd Marsh goes through his Sidewinder heads, and are, or at least they were when I was talking to him about purchasing a set, were truly out of a machine shops ready to bolt on. I would definitely contact him as it would assembled to your exact needs.
I came across a deal on the Eddy RPMs I couldn't pass on. One thing I found interesting when reading the other day is that Eddy states that the 60929 & E Streets are not suitable for roller cams. I don't know if that only pertains to the springs they come with or possible the spring pressures required.
The FT springs they come with are rated for .600 lift so I don't know.

If you can't afford or don't want to spend the extra I would find a set of TF 240s myself.
Todd Marsh goes through his Sidewinder heads, and are, or at least they were when I was talking to him about purchasing a set, were truly out of a machine shops ready to bolt on. I would definitely contact him as it would assembled to your exact needs.
I came across a deal on the Eddy RPMs I couldn't pass on. One thing I found interesting when reading the other day is that Eddy states that the 60929 & E Streets are not suitable for roller cams. I don't know if that only pertains to the springs they come with or possible the spring pressures required.
The FT springs they come with are rated for .600 lift so I don't know.
Todd is the guy I've been talking to most and he's been phenomenal. I'm planning to give him my business, whichever way I wind up going. We've discussed several options and the final choice may come down to availability. We shall see how this shakes out

Todd is the guy I've been talking to most and he's been phenomenal. I'm planning to give him my business, whichever way I wind up going. We've discussed several options and the final choice may come down to availability. We shall see how this shakes out
Its been a while but yes he his a great guy to speak with and is always there willing to explain or share info. Never tried to get off the phone either.
Todd told me that he had visited the new foundry when he was was doing his initial R&D, I was worried about QC in chineseium, and said that the plant was one of the newest in China at the time and that their quality control was much improved over older sources.
I beleive it was Bruce Toth I spoke to when looking at other options, I beleive his and the Sidewinders are the same castings, but in discussion he mentioned that he cross cut many sets of these heads to verify density and core shift were not an issue. In doing so he stated that the castings were the most dense ( least ammount of air pockets) he had seen in any aluminum head, and the pockets/runners showed no signs of shift. He tild me how many sets he went through, I just dont remember.

TF are the only heads I know of that come from a machine shop. I don't know how they fit compared to stock heads as far as plugs, headers etc goes, but they are the only ones I would trust not to need to go to a machine shop to be checked before instal. Here are my numbers on my Stealth heads after port work.
Screenshot_20210910-123836_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210910-123854_Chrome.jpg

TF are the only heads I know of that come from a machine shop. I don't know how they fit compared to stock heads as far as plugs, headers etc goes, but they are the only ones I would trust not to need to go to a machine shop to be checked before instal. Here are my numbers on my Stealth heads after port work. View attachment 1164773View attachment 1164774

Those are some good numbers and are pretty close to TrickFlow 240s.

The Sidewinder heads from Marsh Performance come truly ready-to-run from a machine shop as well. The only thing I dislike about those heads is that they are a 84cc head and my compression would be pretty low with my application. Which leaves me with Stealths, RPM/E-Street 75cc, or Trickflow 240s. Availability may be the final factor since the price will be pretty similar after having the first 2 options corrected by a machine shop.

Those are some good numbers and are pretty close to TrickFlow 240s.

The Sidewinder heads from Marsh Performance come truly ready-to-run from a machine shop as well. The only thing I dislike about those heads is that they are a 84cc head and my compression would be pretty low with my application. Which leaves me with Stealths, RPM/E-Street 75cc, or Trickflow 240s. Availability may be the final factor since the price will be pretty similar after having the first 2 options corrected by a machine shop.
I had them replace Springs, keepers for hydraulic roller cam and mill head 0.010" plus cnc Port work. All in, heads n machining was 3k. Including shipping. Unfortunately I bought the heads in '08 and when it came time to start working on the engine, '19, I decided to have them worked over. Otherwise I probably would have gone w the TF's for the money.

I had them replace Springs, keepers for hydraulic roller cam and mill head 0.010" plus cnc Port work. All in, heads n machining was 3k. Including shipping. Unfortunately I bought the heads in '08 and when it came time to start working on the engine, '19, I decided to have them worked over. Otherwise I probably would have gone w the TF's for the money.

Isn't hindsight the best worst thing ever?

Trick flow 240 and performer rpm intake should be on your list with a stroker if not worried about stock appearance. The TFs just work.

TF are the only heads I know of that come from a machine shop. I don't know how they fit compared to stock heads as far as plugs, headers etc goes, but they are the only ones I would trust not to need to go to a machine shop to be checked before instal. Here are my numbers on my Stealth heads after port work. View attachment 1164773View attachment 1164774
Not necessarily true..while the Trick Flows in most folks' opinions are the best quality units OOTB they still need the guide clearances and spring pressures checked, unless the end-user is equipped to do that at home. TF's supplied springs differ quite a bit from their spec sheet so it's 'possible' a spring change will be required. In that case, again unless the end user is capable, the springs *should* be setup by a professional.

I just put the 75cc E Street heads on my 440 and the fit with the HP manifolds without issue. can't beat the price.

Auto Transport Service
Back