• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Special Black Stripe

67PB2SS

Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
Questions about the black stripe on a '67 Belvedere II Silver Special. Was the stripe painted on or was it a vinyl stripe? Was the black color flat, satin, semi-gloss or glossy? Any idea how wide it was? From photos I have seen it appears to be about an 1/8" wide, but that is only a guess. If it was painted, any tips on how to apply on the car which is already painted/clear coated? I am restoring my car and want to do the stripe as accurately as possible. Thanks so much.

67PB2SS

Questions about the black stripe on a '67 Belvedere II Silver Special. Was the stripe painted on or was it a vinyl stripe? Was the black color flat, satin, semi-gloss or glossy? Any idea how wide it was? From photos I have seen it appears to be about an 1/8" wide, but that is only a guess. If it was painted, any tips on how to apply on the car which is already painted/clear coated? I am restoring my car and want to do the stripe as accurately as possible. Thanks so much.

67PB2SS
I'm thinking your right about an 1/8 inch or a little more. Originally it was painted on after paint, but paint then was not base clear. I'm thinking at the point your at, that I would paint it on in a black gloss and not worry about trying to get it under clear. Ofcourse the least expensive way is the tape stripes and will look as good from a few feet. The tape stripes are also more uniform and the original stripes were not totally uniform.

Hello,Curious as to what stripe you are asking about?Do you have a picture of stripe or an image with it.Thanks.

Here is a good picture showing a SS car with the proper stripe.

1967-plymouth-belvedere-ii-034silver-special034-pristine-4.jpg

I am leaning towards applying a vinyl pinstripe vs painting. Wondering how well paint would adhere to the clear coat. Uniformity of a vinyl stripe and cost savings is appealing as well. I understand vinyl stripes can look very good and can be hard to distinguish from paint. True? Would vinyl be considered a "tacky" way to go or acceptable to most? Appreciate your comments/thoughts. Thanks.

I am leaning towards applying a vinyl pinstripe vs painting. Wondering how well paint would adhere to the clear coat. Uniformity of a vinyl stripe and cost savings is appealing as well. I understand vinyl stripes can look very good and can be hard to distinguish from paint. True? Would vinyl be considered a "tacky" way to go or acceptable to most? Appreciate your comments/thoughts. Thanks.
Most won't know.

In the photo I would say that it looks closer to 1/4" than 1/8th".

Tape off the lines, scuff the stripe area and shoot it. Wait for it to flash and clear it. Pull off tape and polish.

Here’s an original paint silver special. Not the best pic but the best I have. It is painted on and if it’s wider than 1/8”, it’s not by much.

CEF2856F-799B-4E80-BF8D-95C9593C8F74.jpeg

My 67 satellite still has parts of the original pin stripe on it. It’s identical to the Belvedere pin stripe. I’ll measure it this weekend.

From another conversation with a SS car owner, I understand that there are a few things on a SS car that were painted flat black. Plymouth letters on the hood were filled in with black paint as was the valley on the chrome trim piece at the bottom of the sail panel (c-pillar), headlight bezels and some of the grille components. To be consistent I suppose the stripe should be flat black as well?

The picture doesn’t show well but it is gloss.

I'm going to be the proverbial "fly in the ointment" and post this link. Notice the last scene showing the side
stripe...it's a double stripe! Look closely at jamey's earlier post with the photo. It's a double stripe as well. Now I am totally confused.

So I had the guy that bought my old silver special take a few pics and send them to me.

This is what he sent me.

27131431-14DA-42B5-BA09-B2997758EA71.jpeg A37BAE89-A42E-4DBA-9308-399C2E60C7FF.jpeg BE1B24DA-1BEB-455C-A769-AAC514D81480.jpeg E582EBAE-C72E-4A1F-9861-FC056C0A817C.jpeg 00A57913-19F4-43B2-A197-1CE7076828CD.jpeg

What qualifies a 67 Belvedere as being a Silver Special? Are they all silver paint with a black vynal top and silver and black interior? Are they all 2 door hardtops or could you get a station wagon , convertible, or 2 or 4 door sedan? Are they all 440 engines? Should we ask a professional judge or someone like Galen Govier? Who has an official book with that knowledge?

Auto Transport Service
Back