• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silversport A41 Auotomatic transmission. Anyone using one?

Don Chapel

Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
I have a 71 charger 383 swapping it to a Gen 2 472 Hemi and about to purchase a transmission. My 727 is cracked and I want overdrive. 650hp and 610lbs of torque. Also going Dana 60 rear end.
How do you like the transmission and the electronic control that programs shift times and how hard the transmission shifts?

It's just a GM 4L60E adapted. I wouldn't even consider it behind a modified big block.

A 4L80E adapted would be much more reliable.

GearVendors

Thanks, sounds like a lot of work and fabricating. Trying not to cut the body up. Silversport says the GM 4L60E will handle it, I believe if I turned the hp up any I may be in trouble.
The main thing to consider regarding durability is that the transmission only sees serious abuse if the tires hook up. If you're peeling out, The trans doesn't actually "see" the full torque the engine is making.
I have a Tremec TKO in my car rated at 600 ft lbs. I'm making more than 600 ft lbs with my car but I can't hook up from a dead stop. I don't want to either....peeling out is fun .
8100 B.jpg

The main thing to consider regarding durability is that the transmission only sees serious abuse if the tires hook up. If you're peeling out, The trans doesn't actually "see" the full torque the engine is making.
I have a Tremec TKO in my car rated at 600 ft lbs. I'm making more than 600 ft lbs with my car but I can't hook up from a dead stop. I don't want to either....peeling out is fun .
View attachment 1141146

There's more to it than just applied torque. RPM is a big factor.
Burnouts with a shift occuring while the tires are spinning will kill some transmissions.

Anyone? I know this is an old thread. Just looking for input. Was going to go with a Gearvendors with a 727 but the steeper OD, lockup torque converter and lower 1st gear all seem to make a good argument for the A41.

Nothing wrong with their trans, your just bastardizing your Mopar for better fuel mileage. If that’s the case, go with a 6 speed manual.

I'm running one in my 67 Coronet behind a 360 with 3.55 gears and 26" tires. No issues. I didn't have to modify the tunnel to get overdrive.

Nothing wrong with their trans, your just bastardizing your Mopar for better fuel mileage. If that’s the case, go with a 6 speed manual.
I don’t want to cut the floors or torsion bar crossmember

I have a 71 charger 383 swapping it to a Gen 2 472 Hemi and about to purchase a transmission. My 727 is cracked and I want overdrive. 650hp and 610lbs of torque. Also going Dana 60 rear end.
How do you like the transmission and the electronic control that programs shift times and how hard the transmission shifts?
Randy from Bouchillon Performance Engineering told me that the A41 would not hold up to a Gen 392 Hemi with 485 hp even with SST highest grade A41.

Randy from Bouchillon Performance Engineering told me that the A41 would not hold up to a Gen 392 Hemi with 485 hp even with SST highest grade A41.
It’s a 4l60e trans. There are guys with 1000 HP running that transmission.

I took a quick look at around SST's website. I can't seem to find a price for the A41. Anyone have an idea? I imagine it's north of 4K.

Auto Transport Service
Back