• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single snorkel air cleaner. Does it really allow enough air flow????

idrivemopar

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
I was just thinking the other day while working on my thermoquad and how much it really growls when opened up and now that I am running higher compression and bigger cam, will the stock single snorkel air cleaner allow enough air flow for the motor or would it be better to open up the flow. I want to run with the original but I was thinking about just getting a taller air filter and having about 1/2 inch opening around the entire lid and the body of the air cleaner. We used to do something similar back in the day when we went cruising, we would flip the air cleaner lid over which gave a nice opening around the entire unit so it was able to suck more air. I haven't tested any of this yet, but was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Think of it this way: Your Thermoquad has either 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" primary throttle plates,, and 2 1/4" secondaries.

Do you think your single snorkel has a cross section large enough to let in that much air? If you want it to look stock, look for a single snorkel performance cleaner that has the extra air flap in the base which opens under full throttle. Check out Nick's for examples (look in the '70's section).
http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

As you suggested, you could put in a taller air filter, if you have hood clearance. Also, a smaller lid would open up the whole top to the air.

The difference probably won't show up below 4000 rpm. in any case.

Thanks Photon, great information. I was not aware of the ones with the flap in the bottom, just goes to show you learn something new about these cars every day! Looks like the 72 340 and 73 440 had the ones with the flap, but not the 73 340. Something to think about for sure.

According to my 1975 Dodge Coronet specifications on a 400 with dual exhaust and a dual snorkel you gain 45 horse power and 30 pounds of tourque

These are nice air cleaners. STP & Fram still make the element as well as K&N.
image.jpg

Very nice, just snagged one off of ebay for a $110 bucks which seems like a very reasonable price these days.

Auto Transport Service
Back