• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single Stage or BC/CC

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
What do you guys recomend for a novice that has some , but damn little, painting experience?

single stage is easier to spray but dont look as good. its very easy to run your clear if your not experienced with it however with that being said i prefer basecoat clearcoat, its nice to be able to see yourself in the side of your vehicle. you wont get a mirror finish out of single stage but then again you have to know how to spray to get it out of bc/cc

Single stage enamel is correct as it was what the factory sprayed. I personally think that the BC/CC paint jobs look just wrong on these old Mopars as in too shiney or wet looking. Just my opinion.

Hi 5.7, since your car is not a restoration i would go with a god quality BC/CC paint job. Most of the old factory paint jobs look sort of morbid on these cars. With everybody so used to perfect gaps and great finishes as seen on late model cars and trucks BC/CC is the ticket. You can get a really nice hi-gloss finish and the systems are easy to work with. I mean they set-up pretty fast. We use PPG BC/CC systems including primers and sealers. What ever system you pick stick with all of the manufactures products. I think a nice set of Ghost flames would look great on your car. Good luck!!

Hi 5.7, since your car is not a restoration i would go with a god quality BC/CC paint job. Most of the old factory paint jobs look sort of morbid on these cars. With everybody so used to perfect gaps and great finishes as seen on late model cars and trucks BC/CC is the ticket. You can get a really nice hi-gloss finish and the systems are easy to work with. I mean they set-up pretty fast. We use PPG BC/CC systems including primers and sealers. What ever system you pick stick with all of the manufactures products. I think a nice set of Ghost flames would look great on your car. Good luck!!

I will not argue that the ORIGINAL finshes on these old Mopars was less than perfect, however there is no reason an acrylic enamel paint job cant look very nice and is more correct to the car. Regardless if it is an "restoration" or not, we buy these old cars primarily for there outward appearance regardless of what engine they have so why not try to stay somewhat true with the finish. It is less expensive and takes less time even with a color sand to acheive the same results.

I do have to take issue with the bolded part od your comments. I don't consider the new car and also many "restoration" paint jobs in BB/CC to be a "great" paint job. The ones I see have un-acceptable orange peel in the color coat, only to be sealed in with a clear coat that makes color sanding it out impossible. it is there forever for all to look at. The auto manufacturers have made us accept it as normal on new cars but I don't want it on MY cars. If you can live with this sub-standard quality fine, just don't call it a great paint job.

You may not be old enough to remember it, but the GM cars of the
50-60-70s had a GREAT two stage paint jobs. Lacquer with a clear coat and NO orange peel. When I was selling Mopars new in the 60-70 there paint jobs were one of the complaints with people comparing them to GM cars.

I vote for single stage.The less trips around the car the better for a novice.

What do you guys recomend for a novice that has some , but damn little, painting experience?

It depends on if it's a metallic color or not. If the color does not have metallic in it, then by all means
I would suggest a single stage paint job.
If it does have metallic, then I would go with bc/cc. When your spraying the clear, thats the tricky part, depending on what clear you use.
I would suggest practicing on smaller things, like mailboxes, a junk hood, or a fender, until you get the feel for it, then move on to a your car.

As mentioned above, single stage may be easier, but BC/CC is the most desirable finish and the easiest to keep looking great over the years. Lets face it, all most of us ever tried to do with acrylic enamel was was to keep the damn shine up as oxidation was a constant battle...polyurethane single stage is a step up but once again is inferior to BC/CC for durability. We all want to do everything on our cars...sometimes it's better/more economical to pay a pro to spray the car once you have it prepped. It is not technically more difficult to spray BC/CC as the clear is Polyurethane...the problem is that it's clear...lol...and harder for a novice to apply evenly.

I've been doing alot of practicing on parts that I can blast back down to metal and start fresh, got good results with lacquer, but the color I;m leaning toward (charcoal metallic gray) isn't offered, so I found a single stage in that particular color and thought I would ask those that know considerably more than I. A bc/cc is not out of the question, but I have to do this at home in my garage or outside in the back yard, so color sanding will be a must. Now I know it should get shot in a booth, but time, money and household responsibilities dictate it has to be done this way or not at all. Can a single stage have a clear put on it after you wet sand it? I ask cause I want to look at my options.

Yes it can, but the problem there is staining of the sanded SS, And you should never colour sand a metallic single stage as it will expose the metallics that are lying just under the surface of the finish. If you plan on colour sanding to get the perfect finish and want a mettalic, use normal BC/CC, the base is easy to spray, and if you are sanding/polishing anyway shoot the clear! I would suggest 3 coats of clear if you wish to polish.

What I have seen on the BC/CC jobs after your 3 or 4 coats of clear ( like 66-b suggested), we let clear sit for a week or so. We wet sand 1st with 1200 grit then move on to 2000. This will get the clear really flat and ready for buffing. The orange peel will be gone and the finish will look great. This is the process we follow and i am sure there are a hundred different methods. Your paint will continue to shrink for a while and you may want to rewet sand and buff again for your final finish. With the quality of work you have done on your car so far I would bet that with a little practice you will be able to base/clear that car yourself. Also you may have a friend or two at shop that might help you out if you ask them. As always good luck!!

Well after all the response's I'm gonna go with a bc/cc. I think this will work out best given the unsanitary conditions (no paint booth). Besides, I just got a new digital polisher that is begging to get used. Thanks to all who gave their thoughts.

Pay the extra and find a rep. shop to do it. I have painted lots of cars in the past, outside, with the bugs and wind blowing dirt in your wet paint, moister and crap coming thru your gun from your compressor, just having to go back over it to fix things. An old farm truck would be fine but if you want expert results use an expert with a sanitary heated booth who can get you better results without the headaces. Besides he does this every day for a living. It's not as easy as it looks. You could save some $$ by painting all of the inside work but leave the outside to a pro. This is what I am gonna do on my next one.:penguins paint pixi

If I were to try and save the money for someone else to do it, my kids would be in college, not gonna wait that long, but what you say does have merit, but there is no other way to get experience than to do it yourself whether it looks good, bad or indifferent.

I will agree with you my friend, thats how I learned too. Find a good respirator though, and if disasembly and painting parts is an option it will make things a little easier to manage. I found that monitoring your temperatures is a big thing when mixing your paint. If your dryer,"thinner" is too "fast" for the temp. outside you won't have much time to work with it. Stay on the "slow" side when possible.

Have fun and Good Luck

Single stage enamel is correct as it was what the factory sprayed. I personally think that the BC/CC paint jobs look just wrong on these old Mopars as in too shiney or wet looking. Just my opinion.

:yes: I fully Agree , the BC/CC looks too deep and glossy, and old Mopars didn't come that way, ......I don't care for the "Over Restored Look" My Hemi Vert will be going back in single stage Acrylic Enamel , just like the factory used.

:yes: I fully Agree , the BC/CC looks too deep and glossy, and old Mopars didn't come that way, ......I don't care for the "Over Restored Look" My Hemi Vert will be going back in single stage Acrylic Enamel , just like the factory used.

Ha! if you want a weak finish! The factory didn't use Acrylic enamel regardless...just stirrin the pot a little...Cheers!

Auto Transport Service
Back