• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single vs dual pattern cam ....

mala

Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
I looking for a new SFT cam for my street car. Found two camshaft that caught my attention.

dodge
dodge

They look pretty similar but they are single and dual pattern, is here anyone ho can explain the character of the two cam profils? And is there one of them that is more street friendly / easy on valvtrane?

Most camshaft today is dual pattern but is that the hot ticket in every engine? I have a single pattern SFT today and it work perfekt..... but I have not tried a duel pattern maybe a better choice?

Engine is:
512 cu
Tf 240 oftb
10:3 comp
Single intake
Headers 1 7/8 x3
Full 3" exhaust
4.10 with 28" tires
Flash stall 4200

Weight is 3860

Thanks!

In my opinion (which ain't worth much) a dual pattern cam is to crutch a poor flowing cylinder head. You have a really good head, so I'd lean toward the single pattern cam.
Give the cam specs, you will get MUCH better responses from others here.
Edit: for a 512, I would have got 270 heads, but I don't know if they were available when you put it together.

The reason Mopar made dual patterns was to allow more time and space for the bad air to exit, kind of the opposite of a ram air effect. Good Luck

In my opinion (which ain't worth much) a dual pattern cam is to crutch a poor flowing cylinder head. You have a really good head, so I'd lean toward the single pattern cam.
Give the cam specs, you will get MUCH better responses from others here.
Edit: for a 512, I would have got 270 heads, but I don't know if they were available when you put it together.
Click on the links and you se the cams specs. The 270 heads were not available when I put this engine together.

IIRC longer lift, duration, or both on the exhaust lobe "makes up for" smaller exhaust valves and/or poorer flowing exhaust.

Headers also helps and most conventional wisdom is that cars with headers and/or upgraded exhaust port/valves like single pattern cams better.

I know that more lift or dur help a restrictive exhaust.

I was thinking if there is a different character on single vs dual pattern cam with same dur, lift , lsa? Moving torque up or down? If one of them make more torque?

I've always heard split cam if running manifolds to make up for exhaust flow and single pattern with headers. 440'

Another vote for a single pattern.
Dual patterns were a crutch for poor
exhaust port flow in my opinion!

Single pattern.

Go to the Isky Cams Website.
Go to Tech Tips.
'Is extra exh duration really necessary? '

Another vote for a single pattern.
Dual patterns were a crutch for poor
exhaust port flow in my opinion!
Opinion? Thph!!! Call it a fact John!
@mala as well.

This is true when they were first introduced and have been know for be a better choice strictly on the combo it’s being installed in.

In other words….

What a split pattern cam does over the single pattern is extend the rpm range of the cam up top. This is normally seen as more hp or at least the curve flattening out and carrying on rather than nose over to some degree.

Normally speaking.

What a split cam doesn’t seem to do as well as the single pattern cam is create more torque down low.

Now, what are “We” doing with the car/engine/performance expectations? This may help dictate the cam a bit better.

In classic street machine rides, AKA lower stalls and gear ratios for some Hwy usage, a single pattern cam and a well thought out exhaust will make much more torque down low and really help driving around in those lower rpm’s. This will sacrifice some top end punch.

If your head ports ratios are lop sided, as in a poor exhaust flow not meeting percentages, or, your a top end rpm junky, the split pattern is more for you. Even more so if your engine already creates enough torque that around town driving is not a problem.

More importantly is the correct duration for what your doing, the amount of lift to take advantage of the cylinder heads, and most of all, the proper LSA & intake lobe opening angle.

Rumblefish has sum it well inches answer her :thumbsup:

After a couple of hours searching on different sites so is a single pattern my choice her.

Thanks for your answers!

Dang straight! A quality unit should not be a debate in your head but the only “No brainer” move rearward the engine and done without thought, cars or concern.

There are a few excellent places to choose from and none of them are the big manufacturers!

Dynamic
ProTorque
Ultimate
Etc…..

The generalizations are good, but there are many more factors that influence ideal valve events.

I would have started with, what are you running now and what are your goals.

The generalizations are good, but there are many more factors that influence ideal valve events.

I would have started with, what are you running now and what are your goals.
I have already achieved my goals, I put this engine together 2016 and it had different intake and SFT cams over the years. This has been a very reliable engine that has many street miles and 1/8 passes on it, this is still my goal to have a low maintenance engine for street & some strip.

You said you were looking for a new cam. What I meant was, what did you hope to achieve by changing it.

My shiftlight flash at 5800 and I probably shift at 6000 rpm now. I want move torque up a bit ~ 500 rpm because I often is on track with bad traction or No prep event. Now I had been 1.57 60ft as best.

I have no input on your cams. But a stall of 4200 on a street car? Holeee cow!
I've run 5600 in my street car. As for split pattern. I see very little race stuff that isn't split. My 64 is 285/292@112LCA. Must have poor heads. Its only been 1.24/8.98@150/3340lbs.
Doug

Last edited:
I've run 5600 in my street car. As for split pattern. I see very little race stuff that isn't split. My 64 is 285/292@112LCA. Must have poor heads. Its only been 8.98@150/3340lbs.
Doug
……and you must have also missed the memo on the best lsa.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back