• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack Conversion to Flexplate

ChargerPilot

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought an engine that is supposed to be from a 1969 GTX; however, when I checked the numbers on the pad it says it is really a 1970 440 HP engine that was cast in late 1969. I wanted to use it in my automatic car, but I noticed from the vibration damper (see photo) and flywheel it appears to be a six pack engine. The flywheel is for an 11 inch clutch and is machined for some type of external balance. Is the flexplate or converter on a six pack car balanced differently from a standard 4V 440 engine?
Regards,
Ken

Attachments

• 1970 engine.jpg
    1970 engine.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 186
thats a heavy rod engine and is externally balanced. it will need a converter with balance weights. i believe 4bbl hp engines had the heavy rods like the 6paks in 1970.

thats a heavy rod engine and is externally balanced. it will need a converter with balance weights. i believe 4bbl hp engines had the heavy rods like the 6paks in 1970.

Thanks for the info. So I have to get a new converter not just a different flexplate?
Regards,
Ken

there is a flexplate with a scallop for external balancing. i've never used it and am not sure it will work. there is a kit with balance weights that attach to the converter, similar to to factory set-up. also, you may be able to find a factory converter with the weights.

Hi guys, so do you think a 1977 440 HP motor would have the heavier 6 pak type rods? I don't know, but I D Pad says : 7 T 440 H P E . Dont know what the E stands for. But this is a cast crank motor. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back