• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack Fuel Distribution at Idle

EngineerDoug

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a six pack setup on a 493 stroker and a question about fuel distribution at idle. I've adjusted all three carbs for best idle vacuum. I have also used the "finger over the idle air bleed" test on both end carbs to confirm my mixture settings are optimum.

My question has to do with a difference between the rear and front carb idle settings. The problem is, the rear carb is set for 3/8 turn out and the front carb is set for 3/4 turn out. This came about because I adjusted the carb in the front position first and then bolted it in the rear position. After adjusting the front carb I noticed the difference in settings. Unfortunately I don't have the custom baseplate that would allow me to adjust the rear carb on the engine.

Ok so my theory is that the overall mixture is optimized but the settings should be much closer to one another, front to rear. The rear carb is not delivering as much fuel as the front carb. Would I get better idle characteristics if I richened the rear carb a bit and leaned the front carb to compensate?

Thanks.

I adjusted the front and rear carbs the same at the same time. I went by rpms and vacuum but mostly by air/fuel ratio. It’s a bit of a pain but once it’s done it’s done.

After some fiddling I found that I got another inch or so of idle vacuum with the end carburetors set more closely to one another.

Auto Transport Service
Back