• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six pack hood on 70 Charger

Beach Goat

Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
I have a really nice lift off fiberglass six pack hood for my 70 Charger. I installed it once, but with only 4 hood pins, it lifted badly. The front, not having a "down turn" but instead being flush, actually "flapped" up instead of remaining flat. The scoop and the rear of the hood lifted to an alarming extent.

Bottom line, I need some more work to keep it in place if I want to run it.

So I've been thinking....I can run the 4 hood pins, and some quarter turn fasteners front and rear...maybe 4 on each edge. The thing that I can't figure out is, how do I keep the scoop down? Even with the edges secured, the scoop is going to want to lift up. Is there a way to secure it to the engine, or the air cleaner stud maybe? What have you guys done?

Here's a pic of it installed last year. Had to take it off because of how bad it wanted to tear off the car, but It was so mean looking.

20180406_175352.jpg

You can see in that pic, the dilemma of the leading edge of the hood. It doesn't have that down turn of some of the other B body hoods, and so the leading edge catches air and turns into a flap.

How big is the hole for the carb (i'm assuming a single four barrel) under the hood scoop? I've seen brackets off the intake manifold bolts used to tie down a hood scoop, but usually on scoops mounted directly to the engine. Maybe a bracket to the shelf inside the scoop? Thats a much taller than stock sixpack scoop, it will grab some air, but you might get a hand in it to pull a pin.
You will definately need more pins (or dzus fasteners) along the leading edge.
Is this a "race weight" (15lbs) or a "street weight" (30+lbs) ?

I'm not positive, it came with the car, but it feels like 15lbs. There's no stock-like bracing or anywhere to attach it to the factory hood hardware, which seems to differentiate the street weight stuff.

I like it, but have no help for the lifting other the air has to have somewhere to go or it will provide lift.

I had a six pack scoop and fiberglass hood on my 69 charger only front pins and hood hinges on back. Does your hood have the bolt holes for the hinges? Only time I had a problem was the time I forgot to pin the hood down. :BangHead: Hood ate windshield.

Just spitballing here, but maybe try running the hood with the rear lifted about an inch or so higher than the front? Use some rubber fuel line pieces as sleeves over the pin bolts. This may lower the leading edge of the hood enough so that it won't have the tendancy to become a wing.

As you can see in my avatar I run a glass six pack hood. Now the front does roll down but lift is not a problem. A friend of mine married the hood and scoop and glassed in oak strips side to side at the rear, front of scoop opening, and leading edge for reinforcement and it allowed me to attach the front trim strip to the hood. It looks OK to me when open so this may be an option for you.

Mike

I like 493Mike's idea about fiberglassing in some wood reinforcements...smart. If worse came to worse, you could run a rod or whatever top-to-bottom center of the scoop? Maybe have to angle a piece of threaded rod back slightly? I totally agree with 33 IMP to put a bunch of dzus fasteners where you can.

No recommendations on the hood, but I sure do like the looks of your car :thumbsup:.

I would start by trying to fill the gap with some kind of weatherstrip to block the air from getting under the front. Maybe the thick type like you would have on the bottom of a garage door. That might eliminate a lot of your problems. Barring that I would be looking at buying another hood in "street weight," which would allow you to use hood hinges and the stock safety catch. Yes, that will cost you some money but with the value of these cars anymore I'd hate to put 15-20 dzus fasteners on the thing.

Thanks for the replies. Mike 493 you don't happen to have a close up picture of your set up or your friend's, do you?

As you can see in my avatar I run a glass six pack hood. Now the front does roll down but lift is not a problem. A friend of mine married the hood and scoop and glassed in oak strips side to side at the rear, front of scoop opening, and leading edge for reinforcement and it allowed me to attach the front trim strip to the hood. It looks OK to me when open so this may be an option for you.

Mike
Rather than oak you could also use 1" - 2" carbon fiber strips...if you end up going down that road.
I used to build snowboards (then skateboards) and the strength of just a 6" long strip is incredible.

I have a really nice lift off fiberglass six pack hood for my 70 Charger. I installed it once, but with only 4 hood pins, it lifted badly. The front, not having a "down turn" but instead being flush, actually "flapped" up instead of remaining flat. The scoop and the rear of the hood lifted to an alarming extent.

Bottom line, I need some more work to keep it in place if I want to run it.

So I've been thinking....I can run the 4 hood pins, and some quarter turn fasteners front and rear...maybe 4 on each edge. The thing that I can't figure out is, how do I keep the scoop down? Even with the edges secured, the scoop is going to want to lift up. Is there a way to secure it to the engine, or the air cleaner stud maybe? What have you guys done?

Here's a pic of it installed last year. Had to take it off because of how bad it wanted to tear off the car, but It was so mean looking.

View attachment 810910
Do you still have that hood on the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back