• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack hood question

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
I am seeing two different types of hoods I see one's with a raised arrow shaped part in front of the scoop and one's with out. What is the correct six pack hood?

I think the one's with the raised arrow are fiberglass? Some are lift off and some bolt on?

03FOE292837918A.gif

69myroadrunner1.gif

6e6f4a76.gif

I'm sure its the raised arrow. My after market fiberglass didn't have the raise part on it. Wasn't happy when I got it.

I put a Mopar 6-pak hood on my '68 about 1972. Got it from a Mopar dealer,no raised arrow and total lift-off. 4 pins to hold it down. Pretty sure that there was only one part number for that hood. Never saw a raised-arrow in my life. Hope this helps.

original hoods have the raised section int he front. Here is a couple pictures one on a car , the other is an original hood a friend of mine has so can see the raised part has outlined with pinstripe.
Matt

Attachments

• r64.jpg
    r64.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 988
You see that raised part in front of the scoop in pics 1 & 3? Trying to find out if that is normal or correct. Both of those look like lift off hoods cuz of the 4 pins. Pic 2 looks like bolt on 2 pins.

I want to get a bolt on but what is correct steel or fiberglass raised arrow or flat in front of the scoop? All over the web prices differ. most all of them have that raised area but some are flat.

Cornfused....

A-ha! i see what you mean now...never really noticed that before!!

It's the same "arrow" shape as on a flat satellite hood. I believe that is correct, as I've seen what claim to be original A12's with that raise in the middle. My 6bbl hood doesn't have the arrow but it is more of a race hood (not as thick as the original).

I was at Garrett Dodge in Akron,Oh. when the first 6-paks came off the car haulers.There was no "arrow" in the frt. of the hood. I guarantee it. Couple yrs. later I bought a hood from Mopar to put on my '68 Bee and there was no arrow on it either.

bigman---with all the knowledge I possess. I don't ever remember a bolt-on 6-pak hood.

That's what I thought, but there are so many and the fiberglass ones seem to be fairly easy to re produce. Wonder when that raised area first started? I thought I remember seeing it on 70's first?

I guess what I want is not correct but since the all mighty dollar dictates what it will be I want a bolt on steel or fiberglass for the best price. Looks like usbody has the fiberglass bolt on for the best price, only issue is they collect shipping COD? but don't tell you how much it is going to be.

I like the usbody one since you can get for a little extra a air ram plate for the scoop area for a 4 bbl. that would be prefect for my current set up. Then I guess just remove that for a six pack set up. They say it's tougher than the original but wonder if it would still flex and bend after time?

http://www.usbody.com/__Photo-Product-Views/A-Hood-Specs/F-Hoods/FRRH-8.htm

Factory A12 cars never had a bolt on 6 pack hood. It was a 4 pin on style hood. Here is another picture of an unrestored car that was just on ebay and you can see the raised part on the front of the hood. Also the super bee and roadrunner hood are completly different.
Matt

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!ioE8RcK!VH4BPHY7MV!zg~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!ioE8RcK!VH4BPHY7MV!zg~~60_3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 864
I was at Garrett Dodge in Akron,Oh. when the first 6-paks came off the car haulers.There was no "arrow" in the frt. of the hood. I guarantee it. Couple yrs. later I bought a hood from Mopar to put on my '68 Bee and there was no arrow on it either.

Well, I was SELLING Dodges NEW in 1969 and the Plymouth dealer was one block down the street that I watched closely that sold several 6 BLL RRs and any I have ever seen with an original hood HAVE the raised front section including those cars I saw sold new.

Well boys which is it?

Original A12 Road runners had the raised part on the hood as pictured No doubt!
You can tell the orange runner in the second picture has a repop hood as it is a bolt on style and the scoop is to tall for an original hood.
Matt

Original A12 Road runners had the raised part on the hood as pictured No doubt!
You can tell the orange runner in the second picture has a repop hood as it is a bolt on style and the scoop is to tall for an original hood.
Matt

Agree. Original 6bbl Road runner hoods have the 'arrow'. Super Beed have a different hood. It has a ridge.

Check out the pics from the A12 reunion: http://sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com/A12Reunion2009.html

Auto Transport Service
Back