• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six pack options for a 440

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score
Looking into possibly doing a stroker 440. It will have quality heads, likely trick flows, with a decent cam. Is there a huge downside to using an iron intake with the aluminum heads vs the factory aluminum vs aftermarket? Can the factory iron intake be port matched as well? Will this be a huge performance restriction? I do like the idea of a six pack, but I’d also like to get pretty good hp and torque.

It’s 40 lbs heavier for the iron intake. Same amount of material for porting.

six packs kick ***!

If the iron manifold isn’t original to the car you are building, I’d sell it to a resto guy. Get the much lighter aluminum one.

I agree with all of the above. 6-packs kick ***.....2 bbl economy with 6 bbl on tap. The iron, factory aluminum & aftermarket aluminum all look identical to me.

If the iron manifold isn’t original to the car you are building, I’d sell it to a resto guy. Get the much lighter aluminum one.
Agree. I think there are probably many more aluminum intakes out there than iron ones. Iron made for two years, aluminum made by edelbrock for several decades.
The aftermarket six pack intakes should be much cheaper than an original 69 A12. (In production cars for only a couple months.)

Where is the best place to get repro six pack setups? There’s an iron setup used for $2500 ish in the A body forum

Get an Aluminum Manifold.
I Ported this one to MAX Wedge Size to fit a set of TF270's we used on a 505, Pump Gas, Street Roller Cam..... 681HP with 658 Ft/Lbs
IMG-8316.jpg

Good luck finding anything right now. Aftermarket intakes have been out of stock for months and the arrival date has come and gone. There will be such a waiting list when they get here they will be gone in days. Carburetors are a premium as well. Many places list carbs for sale and they are not in stock. As for iron vs aluminum there always seems to be more iron units out there. Guys still have complete set ups for sale, right now finding one that wants to sell is your best bet. I don't think anyone has had a "in stock" six pack available for months. It's a crazy world.

Auto Transport Service
Back