• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

six pack pro's and con's?

big66440

Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
I'm saving up for my engine while I work on other parts of my car and one of the questions I keep asking myself is if I want to go with a six pack or a 4 barrel set up, I remember as a kid the second best thing to the elephant was a 440 six pack,but I know that with multi carb's come multi problems,the car's a 66 coronet with a 440 stroked to a 496 I'm planning on using cnc'd stealth heads, an a 518 OD tranny and either 3.90 or 4.10's at the rear and I'm setting up the car to handle very well,it's mainly going to be a mean street machine that's going to see as many street/highway miles a year as possible my question is what are the pro's and con's of using a six pack for this set up? thanks in advance.

I put a 6 pack set up on my 383 thats in my 73 challenger
steel head motor with hemi grind cam
woke the motor up (had a holley 650 prior with performer RPM manifold) love when the outboards open up...and it way cool looking LOL

Not a problem to tune. The Holley 2 bbl's are very forgiving. Look and feel GREAT!!

I remember as a kid the second best thing to the elephant was a 440 six pack.

You'll love the smooth transition from the 2BBl to all three carbs. It's a set ya back in your seat sensation.

One thing though...(darn kids).... As the owner of a brand new 1969 1/2 Road Runner in 1969.... And having dusted a few Hemi's on the street, I put the A12 Runner on an even par with the Hemi's of the day.

Here's a pic of mine last year. Sounds like about the same setup except for the heads. Ran great then and runs great now even after changing to exhaust manifolds from headers.

Attachments

• engine+bay+5.jpg
    engine+bay+5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,856
I love six packs as you can tell by signature. Have not had any problems and nothing sounds/feels like the Baaawhaaa of all those cfms flowing!!!

Sounds convincing,does anyone make any type of upgrades for these carb's? or will I be stuck with the stock ones?

Did you feel any difference when you went from headers to manifolds wedgie? I have a set of schumacher tri-y's and a set of HP manifolds that I'm trying to decide on.

Sounds convincing,does anyone make any type of upgrades for these carb's? or will I be stuck with the stock ones?
The stock ones work fine for me what type of upgrades are looking for?

Cool,I was mostly talking about metering blocks but I see that there's more stuff available to make even more power.

The SixPack is not much more of an issue to tune than any other vacuum secondary 4bbl. Unless you try monkeying with "trick" custom setups which will always just end up creating more problems than it solves. I would stick to stock, unmodified setups.

Think of it as a regular Holley 4bbl with detached secondaries. Because that's really all there is to it.

Pros: Cool as hell everywhere you cruise or show. Good MPG if you keep your foot out of the secondaries. As many CFM (1250) as any street 440 will ever need, but not so much to drop manifold pressure and kill throttle response thanks to being well vacuum controlled.

Cons: Price. Fuel lines & delivery can be frustrating on initial setup. Very limited intake manifold choices.

Did you feel any difference when you went from headers to manifolds wedgie? I have a set of schumacher tri-y's and a set of HP manifolds that I'm trying to decide on.

The car has so much power, that I can't honestly tell the difference on the street. Even with the Mickeys, the engine overpowers all traction. It has a completely different sound though and the heat doesn't generate through the floor as much. Absolutely no exhaust leaks of any kind now either. I would bet that on a dyno, you would be able to tell the difference at higher RPM.

A well tuned 6 barrel cant be beat IMO. Heres mine.all original with 1956 original miles. true time capsule.

Attachments

• DSC02244.JPG
    DSC02244.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,619
  • DSC02246.JPG
    DSC02246.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,661
  • DSC02253.JPG
    DSC02253.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 1,643
  • DSC02247.JPG
    DSC02247.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,650
Promax metering plates

This is the way to go as Hemi itis said.

I bought the metering plates from Promax for my 528cuiRB with 6bbl.
Big problems before to get engine running/pulling.

Just don't go to soft on the springs in vac.
Dip is no fun with larger engines and 6bbl.

Mine has 547hp with edelbrock88cc an 11.6:1 c.r.

Also keep a close eye on the powervalve rating and check if the carb has backfire protection for powervalve.

Mine didn't and have broken 5 before I solved this issue and put it in.

Beep Beep baby. 1969 RR Project six-pack Tribute.

Six Pack Bee

The six pack, hemi grind cam and 915 heads on the original 383 is really hard to believe. Unless you own one! I wouldn't change a thing :3gears:

Attachments

• bee7.jpg
    bee7.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 2,672
I own a 69 Superbee 440 6 Pack that has been reworked by the previous owner(s). I was wondering if your is correctly set up do you have some pictures from different angels without the air cleaner on so I can try and put my back the way it belongs? Thanks alot.

these might help. stock configuration of carbs.

Attachments

• 100_0067.jpg
    100_0067.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,416
  • 100_0070.jpg
    100_0070.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,768
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Demon carbs for the six pack? I have seen them available for some time. I had a 340 with a six pack with Holleys and loved it. especially when the outers kicked in.

JAG

the demon carbs in the BG package are very small. they'd be a power loss for a 440, probably ok for a 318-340. indy cylinder head had some larger BG carbs while back but i don't know the details.

Auto Transport Service
Back