• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack throttle cable make a difference over 4 bbl cable?

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
My '69 Super Bee was originally a 383 4bbl car, but I bought it equipped with a Six Pack setup. Would it make a difference if the Six Pack setup still has the 383 4bbl throttle cable on it? Would it just be a matter of pedal position? Or as long as the throttle plates are opening fully, the throttle cable is insignificant?

I just happened to notice that my throttle pedal isn't fully upright and the cable ball stop has some slack in it (the gas pedal arm isn't flush against the ball stop).

Should the Six Pack setup have a Six Pack throttle cable?

throttle.jpg

Last edited:
I think the travel is all determined by the pedal and where the ball hooks into it. I also know that some carburetors require adapters to make them open all the way.
I suggest you pin the pedal to the floor and look down the barrel of the carby to see if it is open all the way.

I have been down this road. There are two things to think about. 1. The overall length of the cable's housing 2. The "throw" of the inner cable itself (basically, how far does the inner metal cable move back & forth inside the outer black cable housing).

The six pack center carburetor has to move farther front/back to fully open & close vs. a Holley or Carter 4-barrel. The 4-barrel throttle cable doesn't have quite enough "throw" for six pack. If you use it, it will only allow the carburetors to open up about 90%.

You have to watch out because a lot of people sell the '71+ six pack throttle cables for B/E cars, but those have a square plastic piece that clips into the firewall. The 69/70 six pack cars have round holes in the firewall & the correct throttle cable is held in place with a little metal clip too. I was able to find a 69/70 reproduction, but I had to look around... and I can't recall who I bought it from. I will look to see if I can find a receipt.

So the cable I'm looking for is like the picture I posted above? And it looks like the 4bbl cable is 20.5" long, vs the Six Pack cable at 21.5".

I have been down this road. There are two things to think about. 1. The overall length of the cable's housing 2. The "throw" of the inner cable itself (basically, how far does the inner metal cable move back & forth inside the outer black cable housing).

The six pack center carburetor has to move farther front/back to fully open & close vs. a Holley or Carter 4-barrel. The 4-barrel throttle cable doesn't have quite enough "throw" for six pack. If you use it, it will only allow the carburetors to open up about 90%.

You have to watch out because a lot of people sell the '71+ six pack throttle cables for B/E cars, but those have a square plastic piece that clips into the firewall. The 69/70 six pack cars have round holes in the firewall & the correct throttle cable is held in place with a little metal clip too. I was able to find a 69/70 reproduction, but I had to look around... and I can't recall who I bought it from. I will look to see if I can find a receipt.

Last edited:
Yes, found it at Van's Resto also.

I've used the 6 pack on three different 4 bbl cars with no throttle travel issues.

6bbl cable on a 4bbl, no problem. At least on my car, an original 4 bbl. cable wouldn't open up my 6bbl. completely. Not enough "throw"

So here's a stupid question, how do you get a new throttle cable attached to the gas pedal arm? As we know, the throttle cable wire has a weighted ball at the end that goes through the gas pedal arm. I figured there would have been a skinny slot in the arm that the cable slid through and into the gas pedal arm hole, but there is none.

Do you smash the weighted ball to get it in the hole, and once through try and "smash up" the ball to make it big again so it doesn't slip back out of the gas pedal throttle cable hole?

After you put cable end through hole in gas pedal slot there is a tiny black plastic plug that plugs hole. Very easy to lose that little plug.

First, how do you get it through? A big metal sphere through a tiny round hole? See picture of the throttle cable in my OP.

After you put cable end through hole in gas pedal slot there is a tiny black plastic plug that plugs hole. Very easy to lose that little plug.

The round black part of cable housing snaps into firewall. Then you put small 1/4" ball end of cable through small 1/4" hole in gas pedal. You then plug that 1/4" hole with that small black plastic plug so cable can't pop back out of pedal.

Auto Transport Service
Back