• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slant six 5 speed?

33 IMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put a t5 from a mustang or camaro behind a slant six, in place of the three on the tree? I assume a custom adaptor to mount the trans, and clutch linkage mods. Just curious if it has been done, the t5 should be plenty strong.

If overdrive is what you want why not get a 833 overdrive tranny for it. They put them behind slant 6’s from the factory. The input retainer is bigger but I had one machined to fit years ago.

At this point, this is a hypothetical. I know of a 62 savoy wagon that is just sitting, i talked to the owners grandson, but haven't heard back. It definitaly has a three on the tree, and i'm assuming a slant. I guessed that a t5 had been done, i was just looking for info.

It can be done if you're willing to pay for it but it would be cheaper to use something more conventional like a V8 engine with a 727 trans.

Could be a small block.

"all" small block manual trans B body cars were 3 on the tree until 1971!

833OD trans are fairly cheap.

You still get somewhat awkward 3 speed gear splits, but you get OD, and it's way more straight forward of a swap.

Auto Transport Service
Back