• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slant six oil pump

Badvert65

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Ok you slant six guys, how problematic are the oil pumps on these engines? I had a 79 Volare wagon with a slant six and the oil pump started leaking at about 60,000 miles. It was cracked somewhere but I replaced it and had no more problems. Now, I got my 65 Belvedere going with the original slant six (also around 60,000 miles). I just want to drive it around while I iron out a few things. Well, today the dang oil pump starts leaking. What the heck? It's easy enough to replace but I hate to spend money on an engine I am going to pull out (gittin' a big block, baby!).
Anyway, just curious and felt like ranting a little.

I have a leak out of my '62 right now. But never had leaks in a '76, a '73, a '72 or a '69. Guess you are just lucky! Where's it leaking?

Last edited:
66,67 and 74....all fine.

It leaks right from the pump housing itself. Not from any screws, covers, plugs or anything. I guess it is just plain dumb luck.

I believe these are a very similar design as the big block pumps in that they have a cover and I'm not aware of any issues. May just need to replace the o-ring.

Hello Badvert65. I have a 1962 Plymouth Belvedere with the original
slant 6. I am interested in changing the oil pump and was curious about the approach. I am an experienced mechanic needing some preliminary advice. I have the new one already. The old one is working ok as far as I know. I just like preventative maintenance. I just hope the engine does not have to come out. I know of its tight location outside the block.

Thanks

I could just unbolt the pump and take it off my 79 Volare. When I removed one from my 65 Belvedere, I had to unbolt the engine mount and jack up the engine a little.

Auto Transport Service
Back