• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slant six...really?

Badvert65

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
This is really weird. I have been driving my slant six automatic 65 Belvedere around and it doesn't really seem that bad. I had a 79 Volare wagon with a slant six (2bbl) Automatic with a 2.9 rear and it ran pretty good, got great gas mileage (30 MPG). The thing is, the Belvedere would kick the Volare Wagon's butt. The only thing I can figure is, the Belvedere is a lot less weight than the Volare wagon. The Belvedere has 2.71 gears so it has to be something. I haven't been converted to /6 nut (gotta love a big block) but I could really live with this as it is.
(FOR NOW)

Don't underestimate them /6's. I had a '63 Dodge Dart (pretty small car compared to a B body) That 6 would smoke those 13" tires all day long. I use to run the crap out of that car!

The only thing I use to hate about the /6 was changing the points. You think they would have placed the dizzy on the other side! Well I learned to set it on TDC and pull it. Change the points on the work bench, then reinstall...

I had a 75 1/2 ton swb pickup with a /6 4speed OD, it would climb the mountain better than a lot of other vehicles I've driven, that's just the stock ones, not my performance cars. It was fun to drive, I guess cause I didn't care about it and ran the crap out of it. Free trucks are awesome.

Don't underestimate them /6's. I had a '63 Dodge Dart (pretty small car compared to a B body) That 6 would smoke those 13" tires all day long. I use to run the crap out of that car!

The only thing I use to hate about the /6 was changing the points. You think they would have placed the dizzy on the other side! Well I learned to set it on TDC and pull it. Change the points on the work bench, then reinstall...
Had few....74 pickup (never another /6 truck after that one) 67 Dart with 3.91 gears which was pretty fun sticking to unsuspecting V8's in the mid 70's and my 66 Belvedere. They're ok but would never spend the money or time doing real mods to them. I know it can be done but if you think Mopars are expensive, dive into a /6 and watch your wallet empty out!

I had a 75 1/2 ton swb pickup with a /6 4speed OD, it would climb the mountain better than a lot of other vehicles I've driven, that's just the stock ones, not my performance cars. It was fun to drive, I guess cause I didn't care about it and ran the crap out of it. Free trucks are awesome.
Mine was a 74 D100 SWB with a 3 speed and 3.55 gears and was gutless. My next truck was a 3/4 ton with 318 and 4.10 gears. Got 12 no matter what you did lol

- - - Updated - - -

I tuned mine the same way and it was lots easier! And the dizzy was on that side because that's the side the cam was on.

I got one in my A-100, I have no complaints with it. They are fun, and you can't kill them. /6=Mopar's other muscle motor!

Auto Transport Service
Back