• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slapstick shifter issue

Roger63

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
I searched and read some of the previous threads on this issue and haven't got any answers, so here goes. 71 satellite with floor shift slapstick. I can't get it to shift down to 1st gear. I've adjusted the linkage on the trans both directions and still won't go into 1st. Trans is new and performs perfectly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried shifting the trans all the away to 1 with the linkage disconnected? Will the shifter go to 1 with the linkage disconnected?

Dunno if this helps but here's some pictures with slap stik in 1st.

1627576868968-1268096243.jpg

1627576901531-195730676.jpg

16275769963482112660530.jpg

Have you tried shifting the trans all the away to 1 with the linkage disconnected? Will the shifter go to 1 with the linkage disconnected?
Yes I have and it will go into 1st that way .

Pics are a 904.
Mines a 727, I had a 904 in it and had the same problem. But my linkage at the time of disassemble connected from the top side of trans linkage not the bottom as in your pictures.

Yes I have and it will go into 1st that way .

I assume this is the answer to first part of my question. Then if nothing hindering the movement of the bracket and linkage (like speedo cable, etc.) you'll have to take a look at the shifter and see what is binding it. It pretty simple to remove and the mechanism is also pretty simple. What is wrong should be obvious when you get eyes on it.

Mines a 727, I had a 904 in it and had the same problem. But my linkage at the time of disassemble connected from the top side of trans linkage not the bottom as in your pictures.
Ok. FYI....mine is fully operational on a running car.

FWIW I went from a 904 to a 727 using the same rod and had the same problem. After several attempts, I just made so I didn't have first since I rarely if ever used it anyways.

bracket bushing ?

I can't see the assembly as it should be. There is something weird there. The rod coming from floor shift it gets into the bushing with no fastener or clip at all and I THINK there is somehow of clip which doesn't use there and mostly sure no bushing into the bracket

kgrhqz-pwfb-4ztr11bqgfef-wiq-60_57-1-jpg.jpg

2199278983_ca906118c9_o.jpg

-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F12%2F006-Yearone-Speedometer-Cable-Floor-Shift-Bracket-Mopar-650x434.jpg

ge=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forabodiesonly.com%2Fmopar%2Fattachments%2Fconsole-to-trans-bracket-007-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
a missed bushing will make to move the Z bar rearward and forward while shifting, so shifter won't get the shifter points at the transmission. This is more noticeable on 1st and P

That and also check to make sure the T shifter handle is seated all the way. If that screw is loose it can move up enough to not let the button engage when you press it to shift gears.

You may have the incorrect trans lever. Post a pic of the shift lever on your trans

20210801_132908.jpg
20210801_132900.jpg
20210801_132835.jpg

These are the best shots I could get, although I made a small adjustment to the rod and now I have all gears but the position indicator is off 1. When I'm in 1st it shows I'm in 2nd. Got 1 problem fixed and created another.

That lever does look long..... You really need a better shot of it or better yet a measurement... Center of shift shaft to center of linkage attachment point...

The top lever in the pic 1 Wild R/T provided is the correct **** lever for the trans. It is difficult to tell how it is hooked up in the pics but the fixed end of your trans rod should go into that lever on your trans and your adjuster end of that rod should go into the bottom of the vertical torque shaft like it is shown in the book diagram a member provided. If you have a 70 trans rod it will not function correctly either it has to be a 71-74 rod and matching torque shaft

Having issues with my slap stik shifting after engine swap. This was working fine when I removed the engine and trans. I believe my lower linkage rod got bent while removing and the shifting feels vague and doesn't always place the trans at the proper detent. I bent mine back to what I believe is correct and it's close to working. May not have bent down. Does anyone have a picture of a lower linkage rod?

Thanks

Here's mine...

16518499401231684750103.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back