• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sloppy Steering Adaptor

padam

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
I am trying to fix my sloppy steering in my 1973 Charger.

2 years ago I changed over from power steering to manual. I put in a used box manual box with a coupler I bought off of Ebay.

The power steering was ok, not great but not dangerous.

Since I changed over to the manual setup, the steering is VERY sloppy, with normal street tires on the front the car follows the road so much its dangerous.
With MT Sportsman fronts it wasn't quite so bad but it is getting worse, to the point I don't want to drive it.

There is not a lot of shake in the front end.

I am ok with getting a new steering box, but I was looking at the column and it sure seems like I have a lot of slop there. I remember NOT being impressed with the coupler when I got it. I will try to link a video.

PST sells a manual box, with a coupler its +$140. I'm ok with that if it fits better than the one I have. I just looked at my Ebay purchase and I paid $117 for the one I got.

What do you guys think

Try recording video this way.

Vertical vid.gif

Vertical video looks terrible.
The 73 and later cars used a "rag joint" up near the firewall, right? Are the bolts there tight? What about the column plate on the inside at the firewall?

Column to firewall is tight. Rag joint bolts look tight, but looks like rubber has deteriorated.
I will pull it apart.

Here's another video, just the coupler this time. I know having the pin in tightens it up some, but to me this is unacceptable. I am going to try to check the hardness, the outside looks like plain cold rolled steel.
I bought this from Ehrenberg. I see he no longer has any items listed on eBay. Maybe he's retired.

Last edited:
Still stuck on vertical video, huh? Do you watch TV this way too?

Rag joint has had too. Was probably ok with power steering, but perhaps the extra torque with manual was too much for it.

IMG_20220611_175505730.jpg

IMG_20220611_175605141.jpg

IMG_20220611_175508370.jpg

That "rag joint" probably has a more proper term for it. GM used those for years. I has a few Chevrolets years ago and that was a place to check for steering slop.
Yours looks worn but I do see what looks like slop between the adapter and the steering box input shaft. I'm having a hard time seeing it clearly though.
I break balls a lot but I am serious about the vertical video. Steve Jobs should have been kicked in the balls for making the vertical aspect ratio the default setting for the iphone. It looks horrible for anything except space shuttle launches and skyscraper pictures. It makes every video look like you're a kid that is supposed to be in bed asleep but you're watching the tv through a narrow opening in the door. No computer, TV or movie screen uses this format.

Does that adapter feel loose with the steering column disconnected?....Just attached to the steering box, does it wobble?

Yes the last video is just the adapter disconnected from the column

The roll pin should tighten it up but again, it is hard for me to tell just by the pictures.

It does tighten it some, but then it wobbles.
Theoretically, the roll pin will only hold it in the axial direction.

I got the new 20:1 box from PST, along with a new adapter.
Also got the plunge joint kit from Rock Auto.
Made a replacement for the rag joint out of steel.
Got it all installed Saturday. The new box and adapter fit together nice and tight.

Tested on road and track. Steering is vastly improved.

Auto Transport Service
Back