• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sloppy Steering - What to Do?

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help. I just finished with the restoration of my 68 GTX. The car had the steering box rebuilt. Sent back for a second look cause it was tight enough. I got the car back and had the front end re-aligned. Thought I could have the steering gear tightened up because it's still way too loose and a lot of play in the wheel. The toe in is now okay and all the front end pieces have been replaced - the alignment place told me they couldn't tighten the play. I was told by another shop that if the box has been rebuilt that should be all that needs to be done. I'm now at a loss as to what to do and what the problem may be.

It's a manual steering 440. Can't stand the play - looking for advice and direction from anyone that can help. Thx so much - Appreciate FBBO brothers.

Guys, I need some help. I just finished with the restoration of my 68 GTX. The car had the steering box rebuilt. Sent back for a second look cause it was tight enough. I got the car back and had the front end re-aligned. Thought I could have the steering gear tightened up because it's still way too loose and a lot of play in the wheel. The toe in is now okay and all the front end pieces have been replaced - the alignment place told me they couldn't tighten the play. I was told by another shop that if the box has been rebuilt that should be all that needs to be done. I'm now at a loss as to what to do and what the problem may be.

It's a manual steering 440. Can't stand the play - looking for advice and direction from anyone that can help. Thx so much - Appreciate FBBO brothers.
Firm Feel. Stage 1 or 2.

Do I need a new box - not looking for perfection - but at least want a decent drive. I know I can buy something new but I've already spent enough on this hummer - can't I get the stock box right???

A well known company in Minnesota named Lars. It's been brought to them twice - the car has now been transported to California. I'm disappointed in that aspect - but don't have the option of bringing it back to them.....

I guess my point is - the steering shouldn't be that sloppy. Is there something I can do with what I have? The steering gears have fewer than 50k from the factory. Less than 100 miles from the rebuild.

You can try to adjust it, but there was something inherently wrong with mine. The Firm Feel was one pf the best upgrades ever. Straight at all speeds. No corrections or wandering.

Have you tried adjusting the steering box yourself?
Do you have a service manual for the car???
Steering section in it explains how to adjust the two things (one affecting the other), to make it right. That's assuming all the parts inside are good!
Not that hard.

Have you checked the coupler in the bottom of the column just above the steering box? They can be put together incorrectly and give lots of slop. Have someone sit in the car and turn the wheel from one side to the other and pay attention to both sides of the shaft when changing directions. If not assembled right you will see a "lag" between the upper and lower shaft. Ask me why I know this!!!

Have you checked the coupler in the bottom of the column just above the steering box? They can be put together incorrectly and give lots of slop. Have someone sit in the car and turn the wheel from one side to the other and pay attention to both sides of the shaft when changing directions. If not assembled right you will see a "lag" between the upper and lower shaft. Ask me why I know this!!!
I agree with Goldwing, check the coupler first if there is no play there then you can tighten up the box yourself. There is an adjustment screw on the top cover with a locking nut. loosen the nut and turn the screw clockwise 1/4 turn at a time. Checking steering wheel movement while watching the tire for movement each time. fine tune as needed. You should see the tire move with steering wheel. Don't adjust too much or the steering will be sticky and not smooth. Hope this helps.

x2 play in the coupler.

download the file I attached. It's an article by Ehrenberg on how to get slop out of the steering

Attachments

• PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 942
A well known company in Minnesota named Lars.

There's your problem right there. What do Vikings know about steering gearboxes?

profile_picture_by_lars_the_viking-d4d8c62.png

Well thx guys. I'm kind of out of touch with this stuff. I adjusted the the set screw a full turn and it now seems to be much better. It's not perfect but neither are the Vikings!

Steering box adjustment should only be done with the box centered precisely. Thats the only spot where there should be no play at all. tighten it off the center point and you risk doing damage to the internals as the box tries to pass that center spot, which is now so tight it can bind.
I'm wondering something...

I believe if this problem were mine I would go thru a little extra trouble to check something out.

I'd remove the center link from the pitman arm on the steering box. With only the arm attached I would then center the box rotations to find the exact center. EG...if it takes 6 turns lock to lock...turn it all one way and then back 3 turns to find center. 5 turns L to L would mean turning it back 2.5 turns etc.

Ignore the steering wheel angle etc...just center that box. Now...without turning the box ...reattach the center link and measure to see that the wheels are actually pointed straight ahead, when the box is centered.

It seems odd to me that the box was checked twice and was ok but you have a problem on the car itself.
It's potentially possible that the wheel alignment guy has set the box off center to get an incorrectly clocked steering wheel lined up correctly. That doesn't really work out the best for your steering feel because it positions the steering box off the tight spot when going straight down the road.

If that IS your problem, perhaps with the box set precisely to center you can reset the steering wheel to its correct position without turning the box, and THEN get the front end realigned.

All this is just something to check and may not even be your issue...but it IS possible.

Thx for the detailed note on what to do with my steering. Some of this is above my pay grade. I'm not that talented when it comes to more complicated fixes. We adjusted the coupler nut as it seemed way off. Took a full turn, plus a little more. Now the steering is a fair bit tighter. But still not right.

Auto Transport Service
Back