• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small bearing in accelerator pump

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
I found a replacement bowl for my 4144 Holley carb (center carb for 440 6-pack) with the correct venting opening. As I am removing all of the pieces from the old bowl (stripped screw holes in accelerator pump socket) I find a small bearing in the pump socket held in place with a strip of something.

There isn't a bearing or strip in any of the rebuild kits, so I suspect this isn't a piece that is to be replaced, but I need to remove it so I can put it in the new bowl.

Anyone have experience with this little piece? I don't want to break anything in removing it as I suspect I will have a very hard time finding a replacement.

IMG_5982.JPG

First, are you sure the new bowl doesnt have one? (That is a check ball, without it the accel pump wont work).
If you dont have the new bowl in hand yet, i wouldnt worry about it. That is not something usually serviced.

I would use a flat blade screwdriver or small chisel and tap the edges open until the keeper falls out , don't hit the keeper looks like its nylon, put a rag or towel down so your ball doesn't roll away

This is not a serviceable part. I strongly suspect the "new" bowl will have one in it.

All the newer bowls have a orange "umbrella" style check valve. Cut the extra stem off after pulling into the float bowl.
Mike

You might have a secondary bowl if it doesn’t have the check ball. Plus look where the float bowl mount to the carb and see if the passage is drilled out or not.

Auto Transport Service
Back