• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block 4 speed transmission install question

dodge1972

Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
friend installed a A518/A500 four speed automatic transmission into a 72 dodge charge 340 with a console shifter. He used a blank core to model the installation. Required grinding some material from the case and hammed the tunnel to make additional room for the install. I recall one of the MOPAR magazines had a article on the typical, but I don't recall the issue.

The hump or transmission tunnel on the 75 and later b-bodies a believe is larger, thus my question is has anyone installed a four speed A518 or newer version into the later b-bodies? If your have pleases share some details thanks

Last edited:
The hump is identical. All 71-79 B bodies and 79-81 R bodies and 70-74 E bodies use the same floor, other than some minor differences and humps under the seats for catalytic converter clearance on the 75 and newer cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back