• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Block Intake Gasket Help Please

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
I am replacing the intake manifold gaskets on a 340. The new Felpro gaskets came with 4 red "locator" plastic pieces (see picture).

While this seems like a good idea, especially since the last set of gaskets did seem to slip, I am worried about the thickness of the plastic interfering with it sealing properly.

Does anyone have any experience using these?

Also, dumb question: Should the raised rib on the gasket itself face the manifold or head?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• intake_Gasket.jpg
    intake_Gasket.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 124
Plugs work good, no sealing problem as the bolt will easily crush them. I put raised bead toward manifold with silicone around water passages.

Shouldn't need any RTV but I've seen it used plenty of times....

Thanks for the replies! We'll use them to help keep the gaskets aligned.

The old gaskets had slipped (perhaps when they were installed?). I am hopeful that poor gasket sealing was contributing to oil usage since the engine has very few miles since rebuild and compression test and leakdown tests showed good results.

Thanks again - now to the garage!

Auto Transport Service
Back