• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block motor mount recommends

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
Happy Easter fella’s!

After I pulled the 318 out of the car and inspected them I noticed they were from Korea and were slightly modified.
No secret now but I plan on dropping in a 1974 hot 340 in its place and looking to put in a decent pair of engine mounts.

Any inputs would great be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Ron

I've been using the ones from Mancini they have made up with a bolt through on the drivers side. I also run a torque strap for extra insurance. This setup is still cheaper than the Schumachers, which I have had fail by the way.

When I assisted in a 318 to 360 swap I recall that the passenger side motor mount was an issue. Not sure about a 340 swap.
Normally I would suggest an email to mancini, but the response time could be several weeks.

I don't agree with "Mity mounts" claims that solid motor mounts fail frequently, but what do I know?
Mity Mount online tutorial on motor mounts:

Why not solid motor mounts?

"It seems paradoxical, but solid steel motor mounts actually fail very frequently. There is a very good reason why auto manufacturers use rubberized engine mounts; they prevent transmitting vibration and noise to the chassis. Solid steel mounts transmit so much vibration that they fatigue and crack the mount brackets and sometimes even cause cracks in the engine-mount crossmember or engine block itself. This is not to mention the discomfort of driving a vehicle that is much more noisy and vibrates excessively."

The reason I wouldn't use a solid mount on a street car is that I like the screws to stay in my dash board.
A track only car......absolutely use a solid mount.
A street driven car.....isolated mounts are the way to go.

So I hate resurrecting old threads but its better than creating new ones on the same topic that follows up and is related to the original post....
So I have the engine in its newer home. See my video. Does this engine movement look normal to you guys? Looks like a lot of deflection but really don’t have a good reference or clue.

Don’t forget to bump up the video quality!

Auto Transport Service
Back